Brown algae growing on coral tips and skin.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS ROX is a great carbon. Certainly adding soda ash too fast can cause cloudy water. Are you measuring your alkalinity before you add soda ash? You certainly want to do that. If your corals are struggling at the moment, you might not need to add soda ash. I would target an alkalinity of about 8 dKH and adjust very slowly with soda ash as needed.
I do test daily and its dropping about 0.6 a day. All of my corals are pretty much small frags except a few bigger ones. I also mostly have soft and lps, just a few sps and they are more than likely dead. Lost a lot of color. What can I do about this stuff growing on my corals? I think thats whats killing them? Espially corals that open up when the lights come on. My bubble is closed today and I can see the stuff growing on the exposed areas of the coral, so I guess at night when it closes up it gives this menace a change to attach its self. I am afraid if I dont do something rapidly it will be a goner. Like my lobo My lobo still has some of the flesh but I doubt it will grow back if this stuff is all over the skelton. Actually 2 of my lobos but one wasnt very big or colorful so not that big a deal! LOL
Is there a dip or something I can use?. Funny how my corals that dont open like my pectinia and acans are all fine. I dont see any of that algae dino's or whatever it is growing on them though.

My microscope will be here monday so hopefully I can put and end to this battle!

My cell is dead but after I charge it I will attach some pics. Apreciate any advice. I have coral rx, should I try that or would that be to tramatic for them? I can pick p a idodine dip or something if that would help.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do test daily and its dropping about 0.6 a day. All of my corals are pretty much small frags except a few bigger ones. I also mostly have soft and lps, just a few sps and they are more than likely dead. Lost a lot of color. What can I do about this stuff growing on my corals? I think thats whats killing them? Espially corals that open up when the lights come on. My bubble is closed today and I can see the stuff growing on the exposed areas of the coral, so I guess at night when it closes up it gives this menace a change to attach its self. I am afraid if I dont do something rapidly it will be a goner. Like my lobo My lobo still has some of the flesh but I doubt it will grow back if this stuff is all over the skelton. Actually 2 of my lobos but one wasnt very big or colorful so not that big a deal! LOL
Is there a dip or something I can use?. Funny how my corals that dont open like my pectinia and acans are all fine. I dont see any of that algae dino's or whatever it is growing on them though.

My microscope will be here monday so hopefully I can put and end to this battle!

My cell is dead but after I charge it I will attach some pics. Apreciate any advice. I have coral rx, should I try that or would that be to tramatic for them? I can pick p a idodine dip or something if that would help.
I would not dip anything at this point. Pics might help.

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what seems to be the same problem, I tried ID with a 1200x microscope but as children and I did not get something, thinking that it is algae or tell us the option will be a uv, tomorrow install and hopefully end this problem at once, greetings .

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same issue. My nutrients are all over the place though, definitely not 0. It’s showing up on tips of candy canes and tips of SPS. I had a nutrient spike after swapping some of my rock which killed off some coral and ever since I’ve had a hard time getting my nutrients in balance. Can’t seem to figure out exactly what it is that’s causing it, cause I thought dynos were a 0 nutrient thing but I definitely didn’t hit 0 or if i did it wasn’t for long. My issue is the other way being super high ha

Attachments

• EBB7D55B-DBB8-48C9-9F1E-65DE8E67A97A.jpeg
    EBB7D55B-DBB8-48C9-9F1E-65DE8E67A97A.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DDA4ED89-5C8F-4517-AB75-F463FF3F0B1F.jpeg
    DDA4ED89-5C8F-4517-AB75-F463FF3F0B1F.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 37
  • 03848706-4E14-457B-94B8-E4EDD1DE8724.jpeg
    03848706-4E14-457B-94B8-E4EDD1DE8724.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 43
  • C6BBBA2E-FAFE-46FC-8700-A741D930FFA4.jpeg
    C6BBBA2E-FAFE-46FC-8700-A741D930FFA4.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 39

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a few things, who knows what it was. First I did a blackout and increased flow. I also realized I had a fish that was nipping, a bicolor blenny, and some of my issue was him nipping at corals and it was just the skeleton showing, not necessarily a bacterial outbreak. Between those two I basically fixed it all.

ben5impson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what type of algae this is on my coral. there's also some on the pumps and rock. Not a lot, but way too much, since it's killing the corals it's on, very slowly. A local reef shop owner has said his best guess is that it's a type of dino. He's suggested using Vibrant, GFO and cutting back on nutrient input, possibly a 3 day blackout if that doesn't take care of it. Thing is, it doesn't grow rapidly or in abundance, just enough to cause problems with the coral.
I wasn't getting a reading on my Nitrate or phos tests for a while, so I started adding extra food and even dosing a bit of nitrate. I over did it and now my N03 is 20ppm and P04 is 0.15. That's what started the problem algae I think. There were other types of pest algae first but I managed to get them in control, but I'm having more trouble with this. It wasn't till I started trying acro's that I got so focused on adjusting the nutrient levels and things went down hill.
Any ideas on how I should approach this?
20200216_111529.jpg
20200216_111634.jpg
20200216_111718.jpg
20200216_111759.jpg
20200216_111642.jpg 20200216_111828.jpg
personally I haven't dealt with dinos but from all the up to date information I have read, you don't want to cut back nutrient input. 90% of up to date information says that dinos are caused by no nutrients, so the opposite of cyano. also as you said you weren't getting a reading for nitrate or phosphate.
but I saw a couple of weeks ago that BRS did an experiment on starting tanks and even added dinos and it turned out that copepods ate the dinos. not sure how effective this would be on an established dino outbreak but it certainly showed that they prevent an outbreak taking hold. each tank they tested this in showed the same result. so perhaps in future you maybe able to prevent them altogether. hopefully you beat them before they did too much damage to your coral.
but if that's the information you're getting from your LFS I'd seek my information elsewhere or atleast take all advice with a grain of salt and seek other opinions.

also a really useful tool is a cheap microscope so you can see what ever it is that's taking over clearly.
every time something grows in my tank I freak out and think dinos. but so far every time I have been wrong and the last time I kind of just wish I was right because it turned out to be bryopsis and it seems that flux rx and reef flux aren't available in Australia. so now I have to go to the dr and pretend I have thrush so I can get it on a prescription

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back