Brown Algae Menace

codybridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having an algae issue with this brown, seemingly like hair algae, issue for a bit. I've had turf algae and dealt with that issue relatively quick, then this seemed to replace it and I can't seem to get it under control. I've looked up some threads of what it may be, but I can't tell the differences between the few key types it may be. I was wondering if anyone had any clue to what it might be and how to best combat it. TIA!

Tank Parameters:
Alkalinity--> 8.5
Ammonia--> 0.00
Nitrite--> 0.00
Nitrate--> 0.00
Phosphate--> 0.08
Calcium--> 440
Magnesium--> 1410
Salinity--> 1.026
Temp--> 78
pH--> 8.08

1581908957373.png

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having an algae issue with this brown, seemingly like hair algae, issue for a bit. I've had turf algae and dealt with that issue relatively quick, then this seemed to replace it and I can't seem to get it under control. I've looked up some threads of what it may be, but I can't tell the differences between the few key types it may be. I was wondering if anyone had any clue to what it might be and how to best combat it. TIA!

Tank Parameters:
Alkalinity--> 8.5
Ammonia--> 0.00
Nitrite--> 0.00
Nitrate--> 0.00
Phosphate--> 0.08
Calcium--> 440
Magnesium--> 1410
Salinity--> 1.026
Temp--> 78
pH--> 8.08

1581908957373.png
Looks like dinoflagellates. I'm sorry.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@12gallonsofhex my turn.

Bad new folks I have Dino in my tank

I had it in 2017 and it wiped out 90% of my corals. This time I know what I’m dealing with. Cheato dropped phosphates to undetectable levels.

plan.
Dosing refresh than waste away. I worked for cyano supposed to help with Dino as well.

No water changes. New sw seems to fuel growth. So my water changes will be into Into a 5 micron sock into a 5g bucket and dumped back into the tank

dosing phosphates into the tank.

that’s my plan. It worked last time it will work this time.
My thread and what I have been doing. It's the second time dealing with them. Last time was 2017

Most likely caused by lack of nitrates.

OP
OP
C

codybridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys, I figured it may be dino's but I was hoping not haha. I'm gonna try something similar as well as a 3 day lights out period and a couple other things I've found on other forums in tandem with raising the nitrates. Hopefully it'll be gone within a week.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, and I used Chemiclean and they were gone in just over 48 hours.
Dino isnt effected by chemiclean. It's bottomed out nitrates , posphates or both. The ones in out tank are both photosynthetic and predatory. When we limit one or both they turn into predators and start releasing toxins to kill off competition. Then they bloom.
@codybridge is on the right track. I would recommend to stop allwater changes. I would siphon as much out through a 5 micron sock as possible at least once a day if not more and put the water back in the tank. Raise nutrients and stop all gfo and carbon dosing. If running a refugium cut light way back or remove the algae in the refugium. I would also run activated carbon to deal with any toxins from the dino. I'm also am using Dr. Tims bacteria to help. Any questions im me or ask here or my thread. Im available to help in any way I can. It's beatable keep your head up.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calothrix is a type cyano that looks like tan or brown hairy/fuzzy nastiness that attaches to rock work and the glass. Some air bubbles may be present. Unlike Din0's, it doesn't come off the rock easily, isn't "snotty", and doesn't go away when the lights are off.

I had this pest a year or so ago. Two doses of Chemiclean worked to get rid of it.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calothrix is a type cyano that looks like tan or brown hairy/fuzzy nastiness that attaches to rock work and the glass. Some air bubbles may be present. Unlike Din0's, it doesn't come off the rock easily, isn't "snotty", and doesn't go away when the lights are off.

I had this pest a year or so ago. Two doses of Chemiclean worked to get rid of it.
That’s great info. Any pics from your issues with it

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great info. Any pics from your issues with it
Sorry, no picture. It was a tan to brownish "fuzz" or very fine hairy looking stuff coating on the rocks and back glass. It was hard to remove. It didn't just blow off like red slime or Dino's. It had some bubbles in it, but not anywhere near as many as Dino's.

OP
OP
C

codybridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty everyone, even after the three days lights out and completely covering the tank it seems to have lessened the issue, but not get rid of it. So, I decided to take a look under a scope at my university and this is what I found. The one round one looks like dinoflagellates micans to me, but I can't tell what the other two might be.

20200223_135330.jpg 20200223_135214.jpg 20200223_133406.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back