Brown algea? In saltwater side if mixing station

killerkosar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got brown slimy to the touch algea? in my saltwater holding/mixing barrel is on the sides of the barrel,dosing line and pluming it smells like fish in the barrel also any ideas? just switched salts from tm pro reef to Esv here is a pic of the dosing tube and the towel i wiped it off with
86818D7B-A856-4045-A56D-8C45EAF3A674.jpeg
584DC0E8-449D-4E97-9805-CCBCC318C51F.jpeg

OP
OP
killerkosar

killerkosar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned it out 2 weeks ago when I switched to esv and it doesn’t get any light the barrels have lids on them

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned it out 2 weeks ago when I switched to esv and it doesn’t get any light the barrels have lids on them
It's probably a bacterial bloom then. Any salt that has added nutrients will likely produce the same result if the mixing equipment is not cleaned frequently or mixed water is left sitting in the container.
Not really anything to worry about though.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see this in Instant Ocean salts too, specifically Reef crystals. Some say it’s an anti-caking agent added to the salt and I’ve also heard others say it’s added to bind any free floating dissolved metals. Not positive on any of this though. You might get better luck asking in a different sub forum.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see this in Instant Ocean salts too, specifically Reef crystals. Some say it’s an anti-caking agent added to the salt and I’ve also heard others say it’s added to bind any free floating dissolved metals. Not positive on any of this though. You might get better luck asking in a different sub forum.
The residue from IORC is not slimy at all.

Haroldwagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem. I think it is affecting my reef mat. I am going through mats every 2 weeks. Did you solve the problem?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back