Brown Diatom Hair Algae Fading to white?

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by Evan23, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Evan23

Evan23 New Member

Hello,

I'M new to the forum but have been in the hobby for some time before quitting and coming back. I started a 20g IM nuvo over a year ago and have been battling with Brown Diatom Hair Algae. When I set up the tank I had (and still have) a skimmer, bio-pellet reactor, cheatomorpha carbon and GFO.

I also used live sand (possible issue), man-made dry rock and bacteria additives to get things started. I allowed the tank to cycle by dosing ammonia and let all my levels do the normal MEGASPIKE as I like to call it, and everything came back down to nearly undetectable levels. It's stayed there since; even after adding three fish, a shrimp, 4 snails and some corals.

I had the regular algae blooms as well and they all went away before I added livestock. For some reason my brown diatom algae is making a comeback and I don't know what to do. I recently added CO2 scrubber media because my PH was high and I noticed ever since then my diatoms are going white. It looks like die off but strangely the diatom is spreading more. What should I do?

2. Benqb007

Benqb007 Well-Known Member

Once it starts, it can be an uphill battle for sure. I tried all the same stuff you did and was basically just running out of sand because I would suck so much up every water change. I have a 125 mixed reef, with pretty established colonies and lighting schedule, so I was pretty hesitant to start dialing my radions down.. After doing that, things slowed but never eradicated. Went with a 72 hr lights out period with a massive water change and that did the trick. Followed that up one month later and haven't had any issues since.

3. Evan23

Evan23 New Member

I’ve done a lights out already two or three times in the past but it’s doesn’t hurt to try again. I’ll give it another shot. Fingers crossed

Draft saved Draft deleted