Brown Diatom Hair Algae Fading to white?

Evan23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'M new to the forum but have been in the hobby for some time before quitting and coming back. I started a 20g IM nuvo over a year ago and have been battling with Brown Diatom Hair Algae. When I set up the tank I had (and still have) a skimmer, bio-pellet reactor, cheatomorpha carbon and GFO.

I also used live sand (possible issue), man-made dry rock and bacteria additives to get things started. I allowed the tank to cycle by dosing ammonia and let all my levels do the normal MEGASPIKE as I like to call it, and everything came back down to nearly undetectable levels. It's stayed there since; even after adding three fish, a shrimp, 4 snails and some corals.

I had the regular algae blooms as well and they all went away before I added livestock. For some reason my brown diatom algae is making a comeback and I don't know what to do. I recently added CO2 scrubber media because my PH was high and I noticed ever since then my diatoms are going white. It looks like die off but strangely the diatom is spreading more. What should I do?

Benqb007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'M new to the forum but have been in the hobby for some time before quitting and coming back. I started a 20g IM nuvo over a year ago and have been battling with Brown Diatom Hair Algae. When I set up the tank I had (and still have) a skimmer, bio-pellet reactor, cheatomorpha carbon and GFO.

I also used live sand (possible issue), man-made dry rock and bacteria additives to get things started. I allowed the tank to cycle by dosing ammonia and let all my levels do the normal MEGASPIKE as I like to call it, and everything came back down to nearly undetectable levels. It's stayed there since; even after adding three fish, a shrimp, 4 snails and some corals.

I had the regular algae blooms as well and they all went away before I added livestock. For some reason my brown diatom algae is making a comeback and I don't know what to do. I recently added CO2 scrubber media because my PH was high and I noticed ever since then my diatoms are going white. It looks like die off but strangely the diatom is spreading more. What should I do?
Once it starts, it can be an uphill battle for sure. I tried all the same stuff you did and was basically just running out of sand because I would suck so much up every water change. I have a 125 mixed reef, with pretty established colonies and lighting schedule, so I was pretty hesitant to start dialing my radions down.. After doing that, things slowed but never eradicated. Went with a 72 hr lights out period with a massive water change and that did the trick. Followed that up one month later and haven't had any issues since.

OP
OP
E

Evan23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it starts, it can be an uphill battle for sure. I tried all the same stuff you did and was basically just running out of sand because I would suck so much up every water change. I have a 125 mixed reef, with pretty established colonies and lighting schedule, so I was pretty hesitant to start dialing my radions down.. After doing that, things slowed but never eradicated. Went with a 72 hr lights out period with a massive water change and that did the trick. Followed that up one month later and haven't had any issues since.
I’ve done a lights out already two or three times in the past but it’s doesn’t hurt to try again. I’ll give it another shot. Fingers crossed

Back