Brown eggs on frogspawn ?

Tiagofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this brown looking cluster of eggs on my frogspawn coral at night. I've had the coral for about a month now. The only fish that could lay eggs are two clowns but they're super small and never hang out w this coral. Maybe it's a hitchhiker from the shop, or maybe something else? Any ideas folks? This is the best pic I could take. Thanks!

IMG_4567.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tiagofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this brown looking cluster of eggs on my frogspawn coral at night. I've had the coral for about a month now. The only fish that could lay eggs are two clowns but they're super small and never hang out w this coral. Maybe it's a hitchhiker from the shop, or maybe something else? Any ideas folks? This is the best pic I could take. Thanks!

IMG_4567.jpg
Another pic with different lighting

Attachments

• 20220715_214015.jpg
    20220715_214015.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
T

Tiagofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your post, and a little additional internet research, you're right and it makes sense I think. First, it looks like bubble algae when I search images of it. Second, I set up an auto feeder two weeks ago, and I think I was overfeeding. I read now that high dissolved nutrients results in bubble algae growth. Will scale my feeding back. Thanks

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs will eat bubble algae sometimes. It depends on the individual though. Whatever you do, don't pop the bubbles. You'll have bubble algae all over.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs will eat bubble algae sometimes. It depends on the individual though. Whatever you do, don't pop the bubbles. You'll have bubble algae all over.
This is not true. Popping the bubbles isn't what makes it come back, leaving any part of the algae is. If you can, remove the frag from the tank and gently pry the bubbles off. If some pop, use tweezers to remove the deflated bubble and/or spread superglue over the area. Again, the reason bubble algae comes back, and continues to spread, is when pieces of the algae remain.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true. Popping the bubbles isn't what makes it come back, leaving any part of the algae is. If you can, remove the frag from the tank and gently pry the bubbles off. If some pop, use tweezers to remove the deflated bubble and/or spread superglue over the area. Again, the reason bubble algae comes back, and continues to spread, is when pieces of the algae remain.
I seem to remember reading that popping the bubbles releases spores. Sorry guys. Thank you for correcting me.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just take out the rock or whatever it is on? If so, take it out and remove what you can. Use a tooth brush to destroy the rest and dip in a hydrogen peroxide solution. Not the whole coral. Just the piece of the rock or skeleton that doesn’t have flesh on it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back