brown/green algae

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months into new 50gal mixed tank, with skimmer, carbon, floss. Finished with diatoms, but now with brown/green algae. My nitrates and phos both continue to be zero for the past few wks. No dino's yet...

I have tested phos/nitrate with hanna checkers, and nyos/red sea kits and they all the same.

I am not sure if I truely have zero phos/nitrates? or all the algae just sucking down the nitrates/phos so fast?

Should I just continue to increase feeds and monitor?
I assume this is new tank syndrome :)

I am working on adding a fuge as soon as I can find some chaeto to buy! -algae barn out of stock for ever

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months into new 50gal mixed tank, with skimmer, carbon, floss. Finished with diatoms, but now with brown/green algae. My nitrates and phos both continue to be zero for the past few wks. No dino's yet...

I have tested phos/nitrate with hanna checkers, and nyos/red sea kits and they all the same.

I am not sure if I truely have zero phos/nitrates? or all the algae just sucking down the nitrates/phos so fast?

Should I just continue to increase feeds and monitor?
I assume this is new tank syndrome :)

I am working on adding a fuge as soon as I can find some chaeto to buy! -algae barn out of stock for ever
I went through the same thing recently. You probably have phos and nitrates at some level. It's a good idea to be able to get a reading. I manually removed as much algae as I could. Reduced my lighting schedule and upped my feeding. I got phos and nitrates up. Nitrates a bit too high but it worked. I'm still new to the hobby so take my advice with a grain of salt lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back