Brown Hair Algae...Why? How???

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My tank cycled back in March. For the past month+, I've had a bloom of brown hair algae on the rocks and sand. It doesn't blow off, and I even removed some rock to scrub off what I could with a brush. I also find myself cleaning the glass every other day, as well as the media in my chamber as the filter bags turn brown and get a bit slimy. Any thoughts on what could be causing it, and what I can do to kill it off? Posted a video below with just white lights on...apologies I don't know why it's stuttering like that.

Stats are:
38 gallon AIO, perform 13% water changes (5 gallons) weekly with RODI. Using a 50/50 mix of RedSea Blue and Black buckets for salt.
Temp - 77 F
Salinity - 1.025
pH - 8.2
Phosphate - .03
Nitrate - 0

Lights are two AI Prime 16s which I run from 11am to 9pm with an hour ramp up/down. Tried lessening the intensity and going a couple days with no lights, but it doesn't seem to help.

I have a media tower in one of my chambers, and have in it from top to bottom:
- filter cloth which I have to change every day as it also turns brown
- Phosguard which I rinse every 3 days to remove the brown slime
- bag of ChemiPure Blue which I also rinse every 3 days to remove the slime
I change the media when I see the color off, which lately has been close to every 2 weeks.

No corals yet, and have 4 fish plus a handful of hermits and mix of snails who don't touch the stuff.

Thanks, and if any additional info is needed to better understand the cause or solution please let me know!

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried uploading two videos to YouTube since I couldn’t do a direct upload here…sorry everyone, and thanks for your patience!

Attachments

• IMG_5225.MOV
    49.4 MB

majesticbigmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very normal my friend, no need to worry. When starting out you will have an ugly stage, happens to the best of us :) . Best thing you can do is leave it or get a CUC (clean up crew). I know it looks bad but don't worry, just make sure your parameters are in check. Good luck. :)

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never realized the "uglies" were THIS ugly :)
Thanks everyone, truly appreciate your responses and time! I'll stay patient and keep doing what I'm doing!

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting some rigid airline tube and cut it at a 45 degree angle and attach this to some flexible tubing . With this when you do a water change it allows you to scrape the algae off the rocks at the same time with the rigid tubing

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again!
Somewhat of a follow up question to my brown hair/heavy diatom issue: would you suggest larger water changes (such as 40-50% per week) to help keep the water clean as I turkey baste and scrub the algae, or would this only prolong the algae outbreak?

I ask because as I was doing a monthly deep clean of my equipment, AIO chambers and manual removal of the algae, the tank water became very dirty. I got out what floaters I could by doing a 25% water change (two 5 gallon buckets worth for my 40 gallon tank) but there was still a lot of stuff floating my siphon didn't suck up.

I've also been rinsing my 3 slot media basket every other day, and each time the basket and media feel slimy. I'm using a filter pad, Purigen, and ChemiPure Blue. Filter pad gets brown daily. Also have a skimmer running as my only other filter.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any advice and recommendations!!!

RicanKing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again!
Somewhat of a follow up question to my brown hair/heavy diatom issue: would you suggest larger water changes (such as 40-50% per week) to help keep the water clean as I turkey baste and scrub the algae, or would this only prolong the algae outbreak?

I ask because as I was doing a monthly deep clean of my equipment, AIO chambers and manual removal of the algae, the tank water became very dirty. I got out what floaters I could by doing a 25% water change (two 5 gallon buckets worth for my 40 gallon tank) but there was still a lot of stuff floating my siphon didn't suck up.

I've also been rinsing my 3 slot media basket every other day, and each time the basket and media feel slimy. I'm using a filter pad, Purigen, and ChemiPure Blue. Filter pad gets brown daily. Also have a skimmer running as my only other filter.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any advice and recommendations!!!
Following

Back