Brown jelly disease - can anyone confirm please

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a torch on Saturday. It seemed fine at the store, but since getting it home it hasn't extended much. It's in a fairly low flow/low light area, so I assumed it was still settling.

Today I noticed something on it which looks like brown jelly disease. Can anyone please confirm if this is the case?

IMG_20211011_195351.jpg

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. I removed it with no flow in a zip lock bag - thanks for the tip. I'm guessing there is no hope for it.

It was next to a £350 torch, I'm glad I went for the £30 one instead.

If it only lasted two days, I'm tempted to speak to the LFS about it. I've never had a coral have issues so quickly before!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a BJD expert but in my experience it is not going to be the LFS fault if it was looking healthy there. Once it starts it seems to be a rapid decline and not something you can "hide" or anything.

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a BJD expert but in my experience it is not going to be the LFS fault if it was looking healthy there. Once it starts it seems to be a rapid decline and not something you can "hide" or anything.

Fair enough. It definately looked healthy when I got it. I might mention it in passing next time I'm there - never had any issues with them before so I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. It definately looked healthy when I got it. I might mention it in passing next time I'm there - never had any issues with them before so I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

Ya I think like many things it is often causes by stress and the transport and adding to your tank I am guessing was the trigger.

I recently read an article about a public aquarium from London who described their battle with BJD and were able to halt it using a combination of two antibiotics. Unfortunately both require a prescription, but if I ever get a big outbreak again I am going to try to convince my vet to give the prescriptions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back