Brown lesion ID

ReefinginOntario

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m hoping someone can help me ID and suggest treatment options on something that popped up a few days ago on my lyretail anthias just below his mouth. It started out as white and has now turned brown.

Thanks.
644A2054-D566-4544-981C-B888C6F0D226.jpeg

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is the fish still feeding?
Is it breathing normally?

Any ideas if the fish could have been injured somehow? Not always, but often, an injury starts off flesh or white colored, and then, as it starts to heal, you see darker tissue form.

Jay Hemdal

OP
R

ReefinginOntario

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks for your reply Jay.

Yes he is continuing to eat and appears to be breathing normally. It’s possible that may have injured himself on the rocks as he jams himself in some crevices at night.

I stocked up on various meds/antibiotics some time ago so would something like Kanaplex or something else help with the healing?

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks for your reply Jay.

Yes he is continuing to eat and appears to be breathing normally. It’s possible that may have injured himself on the rocks as he jams himself in some crevices at night.

I stocked up on various meds/antibiotics some time ago so would something like Kanaplex or something else help with the healing?

Thanks!
Secondary bacterial infection would be the issue to worry about here. Symptoms of that would include the lesion getting larger, redder in color and then changes in the fish's feeding and breathing. The trouble is, there really isn't an effective antibiotic you can add to a display tank. Moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with an antibiotic is what you would need to do, but that in itself has some risk. Kanaplex, Neoplex or Furan-2 would be possible choices of medications for this.
There is a slight chance that this is fungal, but I don't think so, since it came on suddenly, it is more likely an injury.

Jay

A Piece of the Ocean for Every Reef Tank

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

What would you buy RIGHT NOW if you found an AMAZING deal on it?

• Equipment

Votes: 434 51.2%
  • Dry Goods

Votes: 24 2.8%
  • Fish

Votes: 81 9.6%
  • Coral

Votes: 227 26.8%
  • Other Livestock

Votes: 9 1.1%
  • Nothing

Votes: 62 7.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.2%
CWT Aquatics - Acrylic Sumps, Tanks, and More!