Brown lesion on blue/green Chroma head

Dalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,
I'm hoping to get some help figuring out what is going on here. The lesion was first noticed 4/15 as a small, raised, brownish colored bump. The little guy had been acting fine, eating, swimming normally, but over the past 3 days the lesion has grown, and he stopped eating yesterday. Will have moments of swimming erratically, then stops and just hovers in a corner. So far this is the best picture I can get, but can you tell what might be going on, and if there is anything I can do to save him? Based on how he looked this AM, I'm not sure he will survive, but I'd love to be able to help if I can, and if not at least know what to do in the future.
I can provide further tank details/parameters if you think it would be helpful. I'm new to this and am hoping to learn and avoid further deaths when possible!
IMG_5528.JPG

Thanks!

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the fish has Myxobacteriosis? It is extremely rare and Medications, if any, are difficult to come by. Keep up on water maintenance to prevent it but since one already has it then I would treat it with phenocide. Not 100% sure on this but that is my best guess of what it could be.

OP
OP
D

Dalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy passed away, but I can take him to work tomorrow to do a skin scrape and look under the microscope. I can't get him to work before tomorrow, but I'll have him put in the freezer and hopefully some organisms may still be visible.
Just starting out so bio load is pretty low, but we have 2 clowns in the tank, and 6 coral frags, do you recommend I treat the whole tank?

Chroma 1.JPG

OP
OP
D

Dalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you can tell anything by this picture? I'll try to get some better photos of the slides (impression smear and skin scrape of the lesion). Mostly looks like an overgrowth of rod bacteria to me, but there were some longer 'rods' that I can't determine if they might be fungal hyphae? I have diff quick and gram stain available to work with.
Thanks!
IMG_8425.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back