Brown patch on wrasse

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I think im going crazy - i noticed today that my wrasse has a brown mark on his hard. I'm not sure if it was there before but he is actively eating and swimming - doing wrasse things. So first 2 pictures are a side shot. He is fast so its hard to get good pictures. i did get a front-facing picture. There is no strange behavior but the mark doesn't seem red or bothersome. but just looking for some clarification if its more than just a marking.

Forgot to add - this Fish has been there for about 8 months. He was QT'ed by DrReef for a month before being shipped and has been fine. All fish/corals are QT'ed before putting in the display. Tank has been running a little over a year.

IMG_3786.jpg IMG_3788.jpg IMG_3789.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Blue streaks are susceptible to bacterial issues. Mine of 8 years has had this at least 3x
I treated first time with Maracyn 2
Last two times assured good water quality and it went away
It’s your choice

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue streaks are susceptible to bacterial issues. Mine of 8 years has had this at least 3x
I treated first time with Maracyn 2
Last two times assured good water quality and it went away
It’s your choice

Hmm - water quality seems good at least on the big things. could there be any other tests that I can look toward to figuring out what could be causing it. Not sure how he would of got a cut or something like that. but obviously want to work on prevention in the future.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - water quality seems good at least on the big things. could there be any other tests that I can look toward to figuring out what could be causing it. Not sure how he would of got a cut or something like that. but obviously want to work on prevention in the future.

I wasn't able to see anything really in the photos. Getting good photos is tough - but blue light makes it harder for us to see.

Ultimately though, a visual ID is sometimes tough to make, even with a clear photo. We rely on those, plus the fish history, as well as water quality reports to try and synthesize a possible diagnosis and treatment - but even then, it can be a "swing and a miss".

Maracyn 2 in a treatment tank would be a good course of action for a bacterial infection. Many injuries (which this might well be) heal on their own.

Jay

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to see anything really in the photos. Getting good photos is tough - but blue light makes it harder for us to see.

Ultimately though, a visual ID is sometimes tough to make, even with a clear photo. We rely on those, plus the fish history, as well as water quality reports to try and synthesize a possible diagnosis and treatment - but even then, it can be a "swing and a miss".

Maracyn 2 in a treatment tank would be a good course of action for a bacterial infection. Many injuries (which this might well be) heal on their own.

Jay
Hi Jay

my wife thinks he has always had the brown mark. Some images on Google show these with brown markings but I honestly don’t recall. You can see if just a brown tinge localised in the top stripe part.
The chances of catching him are going to be small. But I have faith in Dr Reefs fish - I’m assuming it is likely to be some sort of bacterial thing if it’s not a marking of some kind.

I feed with selcon and garlic mixed in there food would there be anything else to put in it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay

my wife thinks he has always had the brown mark. Some images on Google show these with brown markings but I honestly don’t recall. You can see if just a brown tinge localised in the top stripe part.
The chances of catching him are going to be small. But I have faith in Dr Reefs fish - I’m assuming it is likely to be some sort of bacterial thing if it’s not a marking of some kind.

I feed with selcon and garlic mixed in there food would there be anything else to put in it?

Selcon and garlic won't treat any actual disease - with bluestreaks, the diet itself is most important. What foods does it eat?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combo of brine/mysis
Frozen brine shrimp, while very attractive as a food item for many fish, is lacking in essential fatty acids and is low in fat and protein. Mysis are better. Can you get the fish to accept any small pellets? I like New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets.

Jay

OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Stutters

Stutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back