Brown Salt Water Storage Container - does it contaminate the Saltwater? Clean with Citric Acid??

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Over the last several months, I have been making up a batch of salt water and storing it in 5gl jugs. The saltwater typically isn't stored moe than 2 weeks before I use. Today, when I used the saltwater for a water change, I noticed the bottom of the 5gl jug is brown. So two questions come to mind:
1.) Is it ok to use the saltwater that I am storing in the container? It is sealed and stored in dark closet.
2.) I am going to clean the 5g containers. Is Citric Acid mixed with water the best way to do so
3.) Lastly, I switched to Reef Crystals some time ago and read alot that it leaves residue in mixing containers. I had not noticed this before I switched from Fritz Blue Box salt. Should I switch back?...wasn't sure what is being added to my tanks from storing water in the containers.

Thanks

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the Emergency tag. How do I remove that? This is obviously not an emergency

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from reef crystals to regular IO for this reason. Added bonus is it's cheaper.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

Over the last several months, I have been making up a batch of salt water and storing it in 5gl jugs. The saltwater typically isn't stored moe than 2 weeks before I use. Today, when I used the saltwater for a water change, I noticed the bottom of the 5gl jug is brown. So two questions come to mind:
1.) Is it ok to use the saltwater that I am storing in the container? It is sealed and stored in dark closet.
2.) I am going to clean the 5g containers. Is Citric Acid mixed with water the best way to do so
3.) Lastly, I switched to Reef Crystals some time ago and read alot that it leaves residue in mixing containers. I had not noticed this before I switched from Fritz Blue Box salt. Should I switch back?...wasn't sure what is being added to my tanks from storing water in the containers.

Thanks
Most salts leave residues and not of harm. I wipe my bucket with a clean rag after use.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bud217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals has always left a brown residue behind for me. Never really caused an issue for me. And I actually just recently cleaned a white water tank with citric acid and it cleaned all the brown off pretty well.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 cup citric acid to 5 gallon jug of tap water. Leave it for 30 minutes and here are the results.
20221002_105522.jpg
20221002_114146.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back