brown sand??

Johnwhitnab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what will help make this go away and what is causing it do u think?

010C8E64-9B0D-4700-BBEB-7029A6F82E33.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown sand can be caused by a variety of organisms. We're going to need more information to help you out.

OP
OP
J

Johnwhitnab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown sand can be caused by a variety of organisms. We're going to need more information to help you out.
i had to go to work so i didn’t have time to test the water but it’s been up for a year. since this corona thing has been going on i’ve been changing the water every 2 weeks instead of every week

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could be more help. But your tank looks pretty sad. How often are you washing your mechanical filters? Do you have a skimmer? How often do you check your water parameters?
It appears it’s a lack of maintenance. I let my tank go onetime from doing weather changes. My gonipora died but my fish survived. Had a lot of algae. Finally I decided to clean it all up. I’m glad I did. It started to smell really bad like algae. I didn’t do water changes for about 2 months. I can tell you now. I will not do that again. I have a 30 gallon JBJ nabocube. I was told that a skimmer isn’t necessary if I do weekly water changes. Which I was doing weekly water changes. But I wasn’t happy. I started to see that brown coloration on my sand as well. Brown hair algae. I’ve decided to buy a Tunze 9004 skimmer. Since then, the water has improved. The brown colorations has been reduced drastically.The water parameters were all good. Even before the skimmer. I use Salifert test kit. But since the skimmer. I can actually see a huge change to the tank. I would strongly suggest getting a skimmer. With the naked eye. You cannot see what’s in the water even if the parameters test good. After the skimmer, a lot of brown water would just fill the cup day in and day out. Now it’s to a minimum. I’m glad I made that purchase. Even so, I feel more comfortable i did purchase the skimmer. Even so they say it’s not necessary for a skimmer on a nanotank with weekly water changes. I believe that’s false. From the experience that I have been thru. I believe it’s necessary. Fish still poop, fish still eat, fish still produce ammonia they there gills, nanotank or not.

OP
OP
J

Johnwhitnab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could be more help. But your tank looks pretty sad. How often are you washing your mechanical filters? Do you have a skimmer? How often do you check your water parameters?
It appears it’s a lack of maintenance. I let my tank go onetime from doing weather changes. My gonipora died but my fish survived. Had a lot of algae. Finally I decided to clean it all up. I’m glad I did. It started to smell really bad like algae. I didn’t do water changes for about 2 months. I can tell you now. I will not do that again. I have a 30 gallon JBJ nabocube. I was told that a skimmer isn’t necessary if I do weekly water changes. Which I was doing weekly water changes. But I wasn’t happy. I started to see that brown coloration on my sand as well. Brown hair algae. I’ve decided to buy a Tunze 9004 skimmer. Since then, the water has improved. The brown colorations has been reduced drastically.The water parameters were all good. Even before the skimmer. I use Salifert test kit. But since the skimmer. I can actually see a huge change to the tank. I would strongly suggest getting a skimmer. With the naked eye. You cannot see what’s in the water even if the parameters test good. After the skimmer, a lot of brown water would just fill the cup day in and day out. Now it’s to a minimum. I’m glad I made that purchase. Even so, I feel more comfortable i did purchase the skimmer. Even so they say it’s not necessary for a skimmer on a nanotank with weekly water changes. I believe that’s false. From the experience that I have been thru. I believe it’s necessary. Fish still poop, fish still eat, fish still produce ammonia they there gills, nanotank or not.
parameters are good and i keep up the maintenance on the tank my guy so idk what u are talking about but that’s what’s up

OP
OP
J

Johnwhitnab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi friend i tested the water and the NO3 was between 0-5. i’m still very new to this the tanks only been up for a year

Back