BROWN SLIME ALGAE ON TANK WALLS AND STARTING ON ROCKS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SledHead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help to try and get this under control before it is too late. I am using the full Triton Method and tested my water today and have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphate. Nitrates have always been between 0 and 1 on NYOS kit and phosphate has been around .1 before today. What is the best course of action?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help to try and get this under control before it is too late. I am using the full Triton Method and tested my water today and have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphate. Nitrates have always been between 0 and 1 on NYOS kit and phosphate has been around .1 before today. What is the best course of action?
It sounds like dinos I'm afraid ...best is to get a sample under microscope too see ...
Also you need too raise your no3 and po4 aim for no3 5-10ppm po4 0.03 - 0.08 ..
Reduce your lighting schedule and white lights .
Run some activated carbon because if its dinos they are toxic .
Reduce (dont stop ) any carbon dosing such as nopox vodka and amino acids ...
Do you have a photo of your tank ..
Do they seem too get less when lights go out and come back when lights come back on ..
Theres a test you can try too see if its dinos ..
Take some slime in a cup with a little tank water ...mix it up till it all breaks apart ....and leave in the sun for a while .....if it clumps back together its dinos .
A positive ID under microscope too determine which type you have ..will give you a better chance tok treat them properly

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread may help you ..post your results here for an ID

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows your refuguim...is it working too well stripping your nutrients . ??

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your nutrients up. Your corals are going to start dying , or get really stressed

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you run a recent TRITON ICP and N-DOC lab test to see where your N : C : P ratio is sitting?

This is the first and most critical step to solve any of these issues. It seems that with the proliferation of ultra low nutrient systems I am assisting people almost daily to remedy Dinoflagellate and Cyanobacteria blooms by balancing out these ratios.

Contact me via our hello@triton for more information.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what know one has asked.
How old is the system?
0-8 months its just part of the ugly stage.
What CUC do you have?

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you need too raise your no3 and po4 aim for no3 5-10ppm po4 0.03 - 0.08 ..
Interesting. I removed GFO and allowed po4 to raise over several weeks to .05, and as this raised I slowly started seeing cyano, and a small patch of Dino's. For me it's probably the no3, I can't keep this detectable in the system.

I just ordered my first n-doc kit to figure out what the heck is going on, and what I can do to combat the issue before it gets out of hand. Going to follow along on this thread to see if there's any value I can add after I run the test.

Have you run a recent TRITON ICP and N-DOC lab test to see where your N : C : P ratio is sitting?
@Julian@Triton
Currently sampling ICP tests on a monthly basis. How often should I submit N-Doc tests? Any discussion combining the two tests?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I think the N-Doc tests are on hold temporarily.
In Germany that is

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Dino issue. Started feeding my tank quite a bit more (reef chili, reef roids, frozen food...) and it went away. I really think Dino's are a sign of low nutrients.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I removed GFO and allowed po4 to raise over several weeks to .05, and as this raised I slowly started seeing cyano, and a small patch of Dino's. For me it's probably the no3, I can't keep this detectable in the system.

I just ordered my first n-doc kit to figure out what the heck is going on, and what I can do to combat the issue before it gets out of hand. Going to follow along on this thread to see if there's any value I can add after I run the test.

@Julian@Triton
Currently sampling ICP tests on a monthly basis. How often should I submit N-Doc tests? Any discussion combining the two tests?

If you have an issue then I would be testing monthly to get the fundamentals back on track.

The problem with combining is that some people don't need to test with N-DOC and they would ask that they be separated to reduce costs. You can never please everyone ;)

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My N03 and P04 bottomed out and I got “the slime” too. Dino can happen but also diatoms can flourish. Generally if it’s dinos the slime will develop very noticeable air bubbles in the slime during the photoperiod, whereas with diatoms it will not (generally). *A good microscope would be needed for exact ID but sometimes we know there’s not always one handy.*

As for raising the levels there are products like Neophos which add forms of these nutrients when feeding the fish/corals alone is not enough.

I keep some of the frozen mysis/ brine cubes in the freezer just for P04 addition when I see the P04 start a downward trend. Melting a cube every other day in the water column gave me the little bump I needed to keep it up.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back