brown slime in new tank

xXsky96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I'm new in the reefing hobby and I had a 25g cube lying around. Ergo I started a saltwater tank 2 months ago! I'm aware that I am not starting with an easy tank size but that's the room I have!

Anyways. I added a clownfish to the aquariun about 3 weeks ago. He's been fine and happy. However his tank is narsty.

Maybe I'm only in a very ugly stage - but brown slime algea... everywhere!

I've done a water change and tried a blackout... still it comes back. I've decided to keep lights off at all times. Anyways.

Is there something more that I should be doing?

(water parameters are coming up. Buying a new kit :) )

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be diatoms which is normal at 2 months (I had it and it was nasty). It also could be the start of the ugly stage. You need to get parameters and pictures to better diagnose. More then likely if you do your weekly water changes, have reasonable nitrates and phosphate levels it wont be anything serious.

OP
OP
xXsky96

xXsky96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi sorry about the delay.

So I did my test at home and got 0,00 across the board, no ammonia, nitrates nitrite phosphate... which doesn't make sense.
So then I went to my LFS and brought a sample, they tested it using their kits and again... 0,00s everywhere. Which is not normal as you all may know. I looked online on pictures about algea and...

I think it's dinos. It disappears over night or in absence of light. Then comes at full power during the day. In the picture I just did a scrub and water change ( hence all the suspended algea)

Is this dinos? This tanks is literally 2 months old. What have I done!!

ew.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I'm new in the reefing hobby and I had a 25g cube lying around. Ergo I started a saltwater tank 2 months ago! I'm aware that I am not starting with an easy tank size but that's the room I have!

Anyways. I added a clownfish to the aquariun about 3 weeks ago. He's been fine and happy. However his tank is narsty.

Maybe I'm only in a very ugly stage - but brown slime algea... everywhere!

I've done a water change and tried a blackout... still it comes back. I've decided to keep lights off at all times. Anyways.

Is there something more that I should be doing?

(water parameters are coming up. Buying a new kit :) )

Can you send closer pics where we can see the strands? Does it have bubbles at the ends of the strands?

The color is closer to diatoms than Dino.

OP
OP
xXsky96

xXsky96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send closer pics where we can see the strands? Does it have bubbles at the ends of the strands?

The color is closer to diatoms than Dino.

It has bubbles.

Also, I did a black out for 30 hours ( approx) and it mostly all disapeared... however it'll be back in a few hours I'm sure.

I started putting some seachem stability ( bacteria) to compete with the potential dinos.

What actually bothers me is the 0,00 readings.

72473529_593547827852748_8696372377040191488_n.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has bubbles.

Also, I did a black out for 30 hours ( approx) and it mostly all disapeared... however it'll be back in a few hours I'm sure.

I started putting some seachem stability ( bacteria) to compete with the potential dinos.

What actually bothers me is the 0,00 readings.

72473529_593547827852748_8696372377040191488_n.jpg

Your phosphates are probably 0 because the rock is binding them.

Nitrifying bacteria won’t compete with Dino’s, algae will.

I’ve seen many make the claim that anaerobic microbes can compete with Dino. I’m skeptical but am currently testing myself.

What you have doesn’t look like Dino but I’d paper towel test and microscope identify it before figuring out next steps.

I’d also let the tank do it’s thing for another few weeks. Diatoms will keep coming back after a blackout as long as there are silicates in your tank.

OP
OP
xXsky96

xXsky96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - so an update:

I didn't do a complete black out - i've just removed the light from my tank ( I think it was too strong ) and added cheeto in the sump. All of it is gone except what appears to be diatoms ( which is pretty normal i think?) Anyways. Thank you for your responses!

Nitrates are up to 20 --- pretty happy about that! I guess I need to stop jumping the gun :)
1575248764499.png

no mo.jpg

OP
OP
xXsky96

xXsky96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Follow up update.

I believe I am starting the cyano stage ( I've read the guide on this forum) Do I let cyano invade my new tank or I suction it as I see it?

Thanks for the replies guys :D

79592847_691270041396960_606942006354116608_n (1).jpg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ways to avoid or minimize new tank uglies. Just because your tank is newer doesn't mean it is best to let it play out and hope it disappears.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same thing. My tank is almost two months old. I don’t have anything in there yet. I went through diatoms, then green algae film and noticing more brown hair algae forming. I have changed about 100% water already. I did a 50 percent then a week later another 40 percent then 10%

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back