Brown stringy algae

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this algae. It looks brown but when you take it out of the water it's green and stringy. It smells of seaweed. It's taking over the whole tank. It's all over rocks, the back wall, sand, corals, power head etc. Nitrates are 0.5. pH 8.3. phosphates 0.015. It's killed several corals. I'm trying to clear out of the tank daily but it's growing quicker than I can keep up with it. Video attached so you see how bad it is. It's stringy and flowing.

IMG_20211013_182935.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20211013_183004.mp4
    60.3 MB

JoeReefinGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely high phosphates. Astreas helped clean a good amount fo this up for me. They can't flip themselves over thought if they fall which sucks.

OP
OP
gregrobjones

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are quite high,how often do you do water changes? How long is your light on? Do you have a fuge? - kali
I had a fuge for 5 months and I feel this caused it due to my phosphates went to 0 and nitrates went to 0 as well... Water changes every 2 weeks for 60 litres from 55g tank. Watch tube about too low nitrates and phosphate says feed the fish more to get them up so good bacteria can how complete the Algee and red slime....the red slime is now gone. Just the Algee to go now... This is tube from saltwater aquarium

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back