Brown stuff on sand tanks is a year old

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae (including bacteria)' started by tigastt, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Mark Waltermire

Mark Waltermire Member

No I ran then on a normal 12 hour lighting schedule. Just accept that they are not a problem other than aesthetically and eventually they should go away on their own.

2. tigastt

tigastt Member

Yeah I'll try this on Sunday and just leave it on the sump where my BRS HCGFO is pushing water

So all lights on White+Actinic for 12hrs. I was just so used to the white sand for a year to be honest

3. burtbollinger

burtbollinger Active Member

doenst look too bad.

I would add 15+ certith snails.

4. Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa Well-Known Member

I'm on the same boat with the OP, my tank is over a year old and I switched to mixed reef since August and I getting crazy diatom/brown algae, I keep doing water change and brush them off the rocks, tank wall and don't mind the extra work lol, I'm using RSCP salt and 4 stages RO water system. The good sight now i'm seeing less and taking them longer to form on my tank bottom and rock works, I have only 2 snails (turbo and stomatella snail), yeah yeah I need more snails but I keep forgetting about them when I got hooked on clams at LFS....Can't help it :p

5. tigastt

tigastt Member

I was just so used to the clean sand and seeing my acan on a white bed.. But I'll look into the certith snails

How long are you having the problem now ?

6. Yuki Rihwa

Since August so pretty much 3 months dealing with diatom, brown algae but its getting less and less now so I hope it will go away soon.

7. tigastt

tigastt Member

I guess that will be my wait time too.... or longer.. what's your feeding schedule looks like ?

8. Jamie7907

Jamie7907 Active Member

I had the same problem with Fritz. Changed salts and it went away. I think it was from impurities in the mix.

9. tigastt

tigastt Member

You see, I'm about to blame the salt.. Because this is the only thing that I changed.. for 1 year been using Reef Crystals, everything is happy. But with this Fritz salt I noticed that brown stuff on the sand.. again, it's a year old tank.. my problem is I bought the 200G box of Fritz (I shouldn't have) so, what I will do though ? I'll by a small box of RC salt and do a water change this week, if my brown problems goes away then it's Fritz salt..

10. tigastt

tigastt Member

"buy a small box" not by. sorry typo

11. Yuki Rihwa

I feed my fishes (5 fishes) 2x times a day.
    I broadcast feed Phytolanton 1x a week for my clams and other softies.
    I'm doing water change 2x times a week.
    I'm not dosing anything, at least not yet.

12. tigastt

tigastt Member

Whoa, I'm guessing you have a lot of fish.
    Thanks for your response

Yuki Rihwa likes this.
  13. Myth

Myth Member UK Reef Club Member

14. tigastt

tigastt Member

Hello there, thanks for your suggestion. I was able to get a bucket of reef crystals on Black Friday so I did a 50% WC last night with that salt. I really think it's the Fritz salt that I got. So In 2 weeks if I'm still having the same problems, I will test this product!

15. Myth

Myth Member UK Reef Club Member

If you produce your own RO water there is now a extra single canister like a DI resin pod that is made especially for removing silicates, it fits onto your system after the DI pod , if that turns out to be your problem. Good luck

16. tigastt

tigastt Member

if anyone is following this thread, It is confirmed that the Fritz Salt batch that I got caused the Brown stuff and tank problems that I got. After going back to Reef Crystals my sand is clearer than ever and my rocks don't have the dusting anymore. it has been 3 days since the WC. Again, I just changed the salt, no added anything. Same RODI, Same everything. Just salt. Sigh.... I remembered when doing a WC with Fritz salt the next day I get brown stuff on my sand in an instant

Draft saved Draft deleted