Brown stuff on sand tanks is a year old

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you ran the lights 24/7 for 2 weeks ??
20170928_194400.jpg

No I ran then on a normal 12 hour lighting schedule. Just accept that they are not a problem other than aesthetically and eventually they should go away on their own.

OP
OP
T

tigastt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosguard is so strong they don't even state using an reactor. Just put it n a high flow area in a bag

Yeah I'll try this on Sunday and just leave it on the sump where my BRS HCGFO is pushing water

No I ran then on a normal 12 hour lighting schedule. Just accept that they are not a problem other than aesthetically and eventually they should go away on their own.

So all lights on White+Actinic for 12hrs. I was just so used to the white sand for a year to be honest

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the same boat with the OP, my tank is over a year old and I switched to mixed reef since August and I getting crazy diatom/brown algae, I keep doing water change and brush them off the rocks, tank wall and don't mind the extra work lol, I'm using RSCP salt and 4 stages RO water system. The good sight now i'm seeing less and taking them longer to form on my tank bottom and rock works, I have only 2 snails (turbo and stomatella snail), yeah yeah I need more snails but I keep forgetting about them when I got hooked on clams at LFS....Can't help it :p

OP
OP
T

tigastt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doenst look too bad.

I would add 15+ certith snails.

I was just so used to the clean sand and seeing my acan on a white bed.. But I'll look into the certith snails

I'm on the same boat with the OP, my tank is over a year old and I switched to mixed reef since August and I getting crazy diatom/brown algae, I keep doing water change and brush them off the rocks, tank wall and don't mind the extra work lol, I'm using RSCP salt and 4 stages RO water system. The good sight now i'm seeing less and taking them longer to form on my tank bottom and rock works, I have only 2 snails (turbo and stomatella snail), yeah yeah I need more snails but I keep forgetting about them when I got hooked on clams at LFS....Can't help it :p

How long are you having the problem now ?

OP
OP
T

tigastt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since August so pretty much 3 months dealing with diatom, brown algae but its getting less and less now so I hope it will go away soon.

I guess that will be my wait time too.... or longer.. what's your feeding schedule looks like ?

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with Fritz. Changed salts and it went away. I think it was from impurities in the mix.

OP
OP
T

tigastt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with Fritz. Changed salts and it went away. I think it was from impurities in the mix.

You see, I'm about to blame the salt.. Because this is the only thing that I changed.. for 1 year been using Reef Crystals, everything is happy. But with this Fritz salt I noticed that brown stuff on the sand.. again, it's a year old tank.. my problem is I bought the 200G box of Fritz (I shouldn't have) so, what I will do though ? I'll by a small box of RC salt and do a water change this week, if my brown problems goes away then it's Fritz salt..

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that will be my wait time too.... or longer.. what's your feeding schedule looks like ?
I feed my fishes (5 fishes) 2x times a day.
I broadcast feed Phytolanton 1x a week for my clams and other softies.
I'm doing water change 2x times a week.
I'm not dosing anything, at least not yet.

OP
OP
T

tigastt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fishes (5 fishes) 2x times a day.
I broadcast feed Phytolanton 1x a week for my clams and other softies.
I'm doing water change 2x times a week.
I'm not dosing anything, at least not yet.

Whoa, I'm guessing you have a lot of fish.
Thanks for your response

OP
OP
T

tigastt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Myth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you produce your own RO water there is now a extra single canister like a DI resin pod that is made especially for removing silicates, it fits onto your system after the DI pod , if that turns out to be your problem. Good luck

OP
OP
T

tigastt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone is following this thread, It is confirmed that the Fritz Salt batch that I got caused the Brown stuff and tank problems that I got. After going back to Reef Crystals my sand is clearer than ever and my rocks don't have the dusting anymore. it has been 3 days since the WC. Again, I just changed the salt, no added anything. Same RODI, Same everything. Just salt. Sigh.... I remembered when doing a WC with Fritz salt the next day I get brown stuff on my sand in an instant

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back