Brown tiny flat worms on glass? Help!

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the fish that may eat them are yellow corris wrasse, melanurus wrasse, springer damsel, leapord wrasse.
There is a nudi that will eat them as well
Blue Velvet Nudibranch
I have these same flatworms in my 75 gal. I believe them to be some kind of brown flatworm. I’ve noticed them condensing in areas with algae and/or copepods. I got a blue velvet nudibranch instead of trying flatworm exit. Here’s what I have learned:

1.) Run activated carbon
2.) Nudibranchs have no ability to tolerate moderate - high flow. I had to turn off my wave makers, angle my return pump upwards, and move some rock around to make him happy.
3.) When flow is low enough they are EXTREMELY active hunters.
4.) They eat by extending a proboscis looking apparatus and suck up their prey with surprising force.

If anyone on the west coast needs a blue velvet nudibranch, I will lend you one as long as you pay for shipping and have a plan for how to decrease your flow (particularly on the sand bed).

Attachments

• IMG_2995.MOV
    16.3 MB

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Well my tank is only 20 gallons and I got a pair of clowns, royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby all been doing great.
So I don’t think adding another fish would do lol.
before I saw your message earlier I ended up smashing about 30ish of them…was that a bad idea? I did it then continued my water change. So my idea is every two weeks just kill some? Let me know if that’s okay? Thanks!
Hello!
squashing them was a bad idea unfortunately. they are toxic when they die and can regenerate when cut.

i had these in my 75 gal. i got a blue velvet nudibranch and it ate them all in a month. i ran a lot of activated carbon in my filter socks and had no toxicity issues. they need lower flow as juveniles but he has grown and so has his ability to tolerate moderate flow (i have not put my wave makers back in, only running sump pump).

i will gladly lend you my bvn as i am dang near out of planaria for him.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back