Brown tiny flat worms on glass? Help!

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am about to do a water change and realized I have a lot of these tiny brownish critters. Looks like they are moving around eating algae? They are oval with 2 tails. I have not added anything to my tanks for 3 to 4 months. Super hard to take a nice photo of. Fish all seem to be fine. Thank you

3DF0D897-C5BB-4C09-8749-4697DD3C86E9.png 2D946735-CE56-46C4-AB28-FE0C292FF742.png E97E2E1D-144F-438F-91CE-0F7E9E169FD7.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, should I be concerned?
They are pretty harmless till thier numbers get bigger. The danger is the numbers getting to large and smothering coral.

Becareful if they die in large numbers they can release toxins killing everything in the tank.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the fish that may eat them are yellow corris wrasse, melanurus wrasse, springer damsel, leapord wrasse.
There is a nudi that will eat them as well
Blue Velvet Nudibranch

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the fish that may eat them are yellow corris wrasse, melanurus wrasse, springer damsel, leapord wrasse.
There is a nudi that will eat them as well
Blue Velvet Nudibranch
Thank you!
Well my tank is only 20 gallons and I got a pair of clowns, royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby all been doing great.
So I don’t think adding another fish would do lol.
before I saw your message earlier I ended up smashing about 30ish of them…was that a bad idea? I did it then continued my water change. So my idea is every two weeks just kill some? Let me know if that’s okay? Thanks!

Reeferjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about them and if they start messing with coral and reducing the light they receive or overpopulating you might have to do something

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about them and if they start messing with coral and reducing the light they receive or overpopulating you might have to do something
Sounds like they are at that point. Use a siphon to remove as many as possible.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will just reproduce and reproduce... They aren't exactly harmful, but they do Annoy coral.

Flatworm exit works but it is a process. Starting with manual removal to get as many out as you can, then medicating the tank then adding carbon, multiple days on my schedule to break the reproduction cycle. This can take us view as three treatments. It took me 10 increasing in dosage

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use airline sized tubing to suck out as many as you can during water changes. The smaller tubing is the perfect size and gives you more time to get as many as you can without removing too much water quickly in the process.

Amelanchier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think they’re red planaria. Your worms look like they have a rounded pointy head whereas red planaria look more or less rectangular, and your worms only have two “tails” whereas red planaria have three.
That said, I’m not sure what yours are. They look similar to one I found in my tank a few days so I’ve also been looking for an ID.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think they’re red planaria. Your worms look like they have a rounded pointy head whereas red planaria look more or less rectangular, and your worms only have two “tails” whereas red planaria have three.
That said, I’m not sure what yours are. They look similar to one I found in my tank a few days so I’ve also been looking for an ID.
Yea, it’s hard to take a good picture of what I have. Also they are stuck on the glass and won’t be siphon. I don’t see any around my corals or rocks just on the glass.

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the same worms in my tank. I had a little success using an algae scraper and siphoning them out but will be watching to see what other people say to do cause they are multiplying quickly now

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are probably some sort of acoel flatworm, not red planaria flatworms. Its much to difficult to figure out what kind of acoel species this is, but usually these are definitely not as harmful as other types of flatworms like planaria. Most likely these just eat pods and rotifers. If you never see them on the coral then these are definitely not the harmful species, if you do find them on coral then I would start to look for methods to get rid of them.

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the same worms in my tank. I had a little success using an algae scraper and siphoning them out but will be watching to see what other people say to do cause they are multiplying quickly now
And it’s not good smashing them correct? I did that yesterday and today there seems to be more!

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They will go away from my experience,,, I had a bunch in my anemone tank, and they disappeared in a few weeks, nothing to be concerned about,,, just scrape them off the glass..

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully a better picture…super hard to see

Attachments

• 4BF8DD8F-02A8-428F-A728-1C2CA87F561A.png
    4BF8DD8F-02A8-428F-A728-1C2CA87F561A.png
    793.2 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go away from my experience,,, I had a bunch in my anemone tank, and they disappeared in a few weeks, nothing to be concerned about,,, just scrape them off the glass..
When you say scrape them off the glass as in smashing them?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back