Browned out acro......

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a frag of WT Efflo(suppose to be neon green) for a while, It started as bright bright green,then an alk spike happenned and it lost color,but then 2 weeks later it was neon green.This was all under 6 T5 HO bulbs

Then I moved it to another tank,under 1 evolution led pendant(the coral is about 1 foot fro mthe light) and the acro started growing so fast,encrusting like crazy and PE was awsome,but it lost all of its color,it is solid brown and grows like crazy compared to under t5's(it is still a frag).

What is up?

Calcium-440
Alk-8.2
Mag-1450
PH-8.4
Nitra-0
Nitri-0
Phos-0
Sal-1.024

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well granted that your po4 is really zero I would say
It's the led lighting... People have reported many brown sticks after swapping to LEDs...
I hope I don't have the problem I will know soon enough..:(

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm maybe so but my lfs,has the exact same leds over their coral displays and they have tons of acros and 0 are browned out.....then again their lights are about 2 feet from the surface of the water....

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I move some of my frags from MH to under LED, they browned out initially. But eventually did get their colors back

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is too close to the led, and needs to be moved down some, just my .02 anyways

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelby, I think it just got light shocked. I would either move the fixture up or the coral down. It may take a while for it to color back up but as long as it's growing, it's all good. You could always grow it out under your LED's and then move it under your T5's to get the color back : ). I know that's not ideal but just a thought.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at pictures of reefs in books- most are brown or mostly brown. I'd blame light spectrum more than anything, many growers use greenhouses with natural lighting for growth (as the red/yellow spectrum is ideal for the photosynthesis that's driving the coral growth,) and then they'll pull the frags into a blue heavy tank to get them colored up.

Could be the LED isn't giving out the spectrum the corals were used to, or it's heavy in the red/yellow wavelengths. That'd be my guess-but as others have said, a lot of times sticks that get their lights swapped will eventually come back to the sweet colors after browning out.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm maybe so but my lfs,has the exact same leds over their coral displays and they have tons of acros and 0 are browned out.....then again their lights are about 2 feet from the surface of the water....

One thing to take into account with the LFS is that the corals probably don't stay in there for too long. If it's a busy LFS, they'll be sold within a week or two. I experienced a little bit of browning when i switched to LED, but not much and my colors quickly came back. Have you changed anything else with your system?

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so maybe I just need to move it down.

And I have not changed anything with the system.

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is probably the leds...i used to have leds and my sticks grew like crazy, but some of them lost all of their color...the good thing is that once they go back under other lights, they will color right back up. some say it is the lack of uv

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lower it down some,i think it is the switch to LED's browning it out.i have a few corals that browned out for me as well when i switched to LED's that are now coloring back up.just give it some time and it should come back to its glory.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so maybe I just need to move it down.

And I have not changed anything with the system.

Sounds like your on the right track...I had a green Acropora Solitaryensis (looks like an efflo but usually green) about 3in off the sand bed and found it to color up nicely.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely could be the LEDs, but another possiblity is water flow. Make sure that it is getting similar flow as to when it was in the other tank.

CJ

wooboodoo

the ART of modern REEF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a frag of WT Efflo(suppose to be neon green) for a while, It started as bright bright green,then an alk spike happenned and it lost color,but then 2 weeks later it was neon green.This was all under 6 T5 HO bulbs

Then I moved it to another tank,under 1 evolution led pendant(the coral is about 1 foot fro mthe light) and the acro started growing so fast,encrusting like crazy and PE was awsome,but it lost all of its color,it is solid brown and grows like crazy compared to under t5's(it is still a frag).

What is up?

Calcium-440
Alk-8.2
Mag-1450
PH-8.4
Nitra-0
Nitri-0
Phos-0
Sal-1.024

Did you check your Potassium?
Sometimes it can be reason why corals changing colors to brown...

Regards,
mark

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried to keep a green efflo, but the purples seem to thrive about 18" down from my leds with very strong flow.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at pictures of reefs in books- most are brown or mostly brown. I'd blame light spectrum more than anything, many growers use greenhouses with natural lighting for growth (as the red/yellow spectrum is ideal for the photosynthesis that's driving the coral growth,) and then they'll pull the frags into a blue heavy tank to get them colored up.

Could be the LED isn't giving out the spectrum the corals were used to, or it's heavy in the red/yellow wavelengths. That'd be my guess-but as others have said, a lot of times sticks that get their lights swapped will eventually come back to the sweet colors after browning out.

The color spectrum is an interesting thought but if they eventually get the colors back - then is the coral just adjusting?? Could the browning be from too much or too light or could it be both (not at the same time lol)?

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been over a month now did it ever get to color back?

also wondering if it does get the color back will it slow down on the growth...

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP

After this issue I had an alk spike which took a few corals as it settled back down. Im setting up a 3 part doser this monday..

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP

After this issue I had an alk spike which took a few corals as it settled back down. Im setting up a 3 part doser this monday..

Sorry to hear man - I have a DragonSoul Favia that is kicking the bucket on me...everything else is fine but that piece just doesnt like my tank. Good luck with the doser!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back