browning and loss of coloration

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having problems with these two new sps sticks, they're browning out and dying it seems. It is 100% my fault i have neglected my dosing and allowed the levels to get too low when i was battling dinos i completely neglected them. On the bright side all of my other corals are faring well. Im trying to do what i can not to lose them. So im here for tips. im raising my levels back up by dosing manually over the next couple days.

1610325503319.png

im trying to get the levels back to the original levels, besides the phosphate and nitrates, im trying to raise my Nitrates to around 5ppm. if you guys notice anything or think i should change anything let me know. Im also trying to feed them with reefroids and reef energy AB+. i dose with liquid Red sea foundations A, B, C. If you need anymore information i can provide it ASAP.

unnamed (13).jpg

unnamed (12).jpg

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your levels don’t look terrible although mag is a little low. I would maybe focus on stabilizing them rather than trying to raise it in order to reduce stress. If/when they do recover then you can try and slowly raise the levels again. Sad to say though they do look pretty far gone judging by the algae on the skeleton.

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your levels don’t look terrible although mag is a little low. I would maybe focus on stabilizing them rather than trying to raise it in order to reduce stress. If/when they do recover then you can try and slowly raise the levels again. Sad to say though they do look pretty far gone judging by the algae on the skeleton.
i know i was going to try cutting the tips, but i dont think it will be much of a help at this point, i just need to test more so i can keep the levels stable

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most likely going to lose those. I am sorry.

When you get new acropora, don't ever cut back on feeding your fish. Ever. This is the true way to starve them. Increase feedings if you want N to rise, don't dose no3 on the backend.

Your tank looks pretty sterile without much coralline or fauna. These tanks are generally hard on acropora. How old is everything and how did you set it up?

Also, are these getting enough light?

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most likely going to lose those. I am sorry.

When you get new acropora, don't ever cut back on feeding your fish. Ever. This is the true way to starve them. Increase feedings if you want N to rise, don't dose no3 on the backend.

Your tank looks pretty sterile without much coralline or fauna. These tanks are generally hard on acropora. How old is everything and how did you set it up?

Also, are these getting enough light?
they get around 220 PAR, so it should be on the low end for them but still enough. The tank has been setup with fish for about 2.5 years, and i didnt add "real" coral until 10 months ago. Ive had zoas and basic beginner corals in there for a little over a year. I never had coraline algae grow steadily and i always seem to go through algae cycles like its a new tank over and over again. Im adding three more fish soon, so hopefully that will progress things after they QT. other than that im at a loss of what to do. I run a fug with cheato and a range of pods. good flow and protein skimmer, turnover the tank about 3 times an hour. guess ill keep playing with softies until i can figure it out. I also never dose chemicals of any kind, Only reef energy and the basic elements.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back