BRS 160 Update #2: Is this the single most cost effective way to increase coral growth?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2: The most cost effective way to increase coral growth? | 52 Weeks of Reefing #BRS160

Recently we've added a CO2 Scrubber to the BRS 160, and frankly the results have been surprising!
Follow along as we touch on our war with nudis, and talk about the shocking CO2 Scrubber results.​

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear you're staying on top of the nudis! I'm concerned a may have introduced some to my tank, despite my best efforts, so it's good to hear that you guys have it under control.

I'm planning on running an airline to my crawlspace underneath the tank to draw in fresh air for the skimmer. Do you think 4-6' of line would negatively impact the skimmer? If so, what about running small diameter tubing into larger diameter tubing to help prevent the restriction of air.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specifics on the solenoid used, by chance?
upload_2016-12-9_11-12-11.png

I can tell it's a Norgren, but I've been unable to find anything that seems to match...

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using EC's Micro-Nanobubbles with the CO2 scrubber is definitely effective and significantly increases apparent growth and calcification rates in sps. :)

@Diesel

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear you're staying on top of the nudis! I'm concerned a may have introduced some to my tank, despite my best efforts, so it's good to hear that you guys have it under control.

I'm planning on running an airline to my crawlspace underneath the tank to draw in fresh air for the skimmer. Do you think 4-6' of line would negatively impact the skimmer? If so, what about running small diameter tubing into larger diameter tubing to help prevent the restriction of air.

Thanks! 4 to 6 feet probably wouldn't affect things too much, but adding a larger pipe would reduce the amount of stress on the air draw. Just keep in mind that you will want to set it up so in case of the unlikely event - water can never siphon down that line into the crawlspace.

I can tell it's a Norgren, but I've been unable to find anything that seems to match...

I'll need to check with Ryan next time I see him, but I'm sure we could tell you. :)

Using EC's Micro-Nanobubbles with the CO2 scrubber is definitely effective and significantly increases apparent growth and calcification rates in sps. :)

@Diesel

Due to oxygen displacing CO2 in the water column?

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly! Increasing the o2 concentration in the water to tip the osmotic scale to displace metabolic waste gases including CO2. :)

The smaller the bubbles, the better the dissolution and dwell time for proper gas exchange without the need for additional surface agitation. :)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! Increasing the o2 concentration in the water to tip the osmotic scale to displace metabolic waste gases including CO2. :)

The smaller the bubbles, the better the dissolution and dwell time for proper gas exchange without the need for additional surface agitation. :)

Sounds like a fun thing to test for BRStv Investigates!

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently discovered monti eating nudibranch in my tank,your video was perfect timing.I am going to add a six line this weekend to try and control losses,nice to know there are others with the same issues and BRS is a wealth of information.thanks guys!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently discovered monti eating nudibranch in my tank,your video was perfect timing.I am going to add a six line this weekend to try and control losses,nice to know there are others with the same issues and BRS is a wealth of information.thanks guys!

Bummer! Good luck, hopefully your sixline is hungry :)

Triggerjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same issue and a melanarus wrasse and frequent dipping wiped them out.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great website. I've learned a lot here in a short time and incorporated many new features into my new build. Did fresh water testing this week and I'm almost ready to add salt water now.

AZReefRat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! 4 to 6 feet probably wouldn't affect things too much, but adding a larger pipe would reduce the amount of stress on the air draw. Just keep in mind that you will want to set it up so in case of the unlikely event - water can never siphon down that line into the crawlspace.

I'll need to check with Ryan next time I see him, but I'm sure we could tell you. :)

It looks like a KIP Q2 Series....but I'm not 100% sure

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5489t491/=15ehya6

To connect the tubing I used a 3/8" Kynar Y fitting . If you cut the barb off it slides into the solenoid pretty well. One end of the fitting has the solenoid and the other end leads to the co2 scrubber. When the PH is above 8.2 the solenoid is open so most of the air feeding the skimmer is ambient room air. When the tank drops below 8.2 the solenoid closes so the air has to come from the co2 scrubber.

I have been pretty happy with this install however I might consider putting a solenoid on both because even with the solenoid open it draws some air through the scrubber, this is largely just depleting the media needlessly. I think with 2 I could keep the Ph almost completely stable : )

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.mcmaster.com/#5489t491/=15ehya6

To connect the tubing I used a 3/8" Kynar Y fitting . If you cut the barb off it slides into the solenoid pretty well. One end of the fitting has the solenoid and the other end leads to the co2 scrubber. When the PH is above 8.2 the solenoid is open so most of the air feeding the skimmer is ambient room air. When the tank drops below 8.2 the solenoid closes so the air has to come from the co2 scrubber.

I have been pretty happy with this install however I might consider putting a solenoid on both because even with the solenoid open it draws some air through the scrubber, this is largely just depleting the media needlessly. I think with 2 I could keep the Ph almost completely stable : )
Thanks @Ryanbrs! Hope you enjoy your well-deserved holiday!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love BRS!!!
I love BRS too and use their CO2 Scrubber with good results on my ph

Thanks guys!

I had the same issue and a melanarus wrasse and frequent dipping wiped them out.

Nice! Those wrasses are machines.

What a great website. I've learned a lot here in a short time and incorporated many new features into my new build. Did fresh water testing this week and I'm almost ready to add salt water now.

Really happy to hear we could help, Shaun. What size tank are you setting up?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back