BRS acquires Marine Depot? WOW!

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my RODI from Marine Depot because they had a deal that so long as you purchased the unit from them, you got 15% off of the replacement filters, etc. for life. It was a nice deal. They also had amazing service when one of the elbows broke. I'll miss them as a vendor. I wonder of @Bulk Reef Supply will honor that program?
No, they won't honor it.

I too bought a MD Kleanwater RODI system, so I contacted BRS customer service and they told me (in writing) that they will not honor the 15% off for life filter replacement. Time to stock up before July 30th...

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they won't honor it.

I too bought a MD Kleanwater RODI system, so I contacted BRS customer service and they told me (in writing) that they will not honor the 15% off for life filter replacement. Time to stock up before July 30th...
I literally JUST replaced my membrane and all the media.
Max Mist GIF by SWR3

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, they won't honor it.

BRS has already stated they are putting something together. In the meantime, all their refill kits are 15% off while they work on the new program.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it interesting how everyone likes the ‘little guy,’ but then when the little guy does a good job and grows to be a big guy they don’t like him because he’s not the little guy any more. Does this strike anyone else as a bit odd?
It's called business, you make your reputation on the way up, and your money on the way down. Investment firms buy reputations because it's easier than doing the hard work of really building something.

They bought into BRS and then they bought a major competitor and took away one of those "reputations". Instant market share, and more is coming. The only thing odd here is how naive some people are to the way business works.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is stupid. I buy most of my stuff off Amazon. BRzs is not buying them out. Stop whining.

Why was what i posted stupid?

When you watch this video of the warehouse you think the volume is maxed out?

If you do think that it is maxed out I will not call you stupid for thinking that.

Last edited:

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you do think that it is maxed out I will not call you stupid for thinking that.

I was not responding to anybody specifically. Just people acting like this was a move to monopolize the reefing market. That is silly.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I walked the warehouse back in May...they are stocked to the max in the current setup. They will need more space to bring in MD stuff. Aquamaxx alone would take up any remaining shelf space.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked the warehouse back in May...they are stocked to the max in the current setup. They will need more space to bring in MD stuff. Aquamaxx alone would take up any remaining shelf space.

This echoes what I was told when I stopped in last week. They dont really have extra room in the warehouse. So I'd imagine the worst selling BRS products get replaced by top selling MD items during this transition.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called business, you make your reputation on the way up, and your money on the way down. Investment firms buy reputations because it's easier than doing the hard work of really building something.

They bought into BRS and then they bought a major competitor and took away one of those "reputations". Instant market share, and more is coming. The only thing odd here is how naive some people are to the way business works.
It is possible to make money without destroying your reputation, you know. that's still totally different from the 'little good, big bad' mentality that seems so prevalent. There are bad little companies and good big companies. Base your opinion on actual experience, not a philosophy.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has already stated they are putting something together. In the meantime, all their refill kits are 15% off while they work on the new program.
Well, here's their reply. I guess we'll have to see what they're "putting together", as you suggested...

Hey there,
Thank you for reaching out to us! BRS will not be honoring the lifetime filter promo from Marine Depot. We do have regular sales on our BRS filters pretty frequently.

Please let me know if you need anything further and take care!
Matt

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to make money without destroying your reputation, you know. that's still totally different from the 'little good, big bad' mentality that seems so prevalent. There are bad little companies and good big companies. Base your opinion on actual experience, not a philosophy.
A philosophy? Riiight, a private equity firm just stepped in and gained market share by erasing a competitor, they didn't let the market (customers) decide, and you think this is a philosophy and not experience speaking ? Are you even paying attention to what's unfolding right before your own eyes ?
Their first move wasn't to gain market share by making BRS better, it was to take away the competition.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A philosophy? Riiight, a private equity firm just stepped in and gained market share by erasing a competitor, they didn't let the market (customers) decide, and you think this is a philosophy and not experience speaking ? Are you even paying attention to what's unfolding right before your own eyes ?
Their first move wasn't to gain market share by making BRS better, it was to take away the competition.

You make it sound like a hostile takeover when it was actually a Save Our Ship.

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I dunno if I like this or not. I still miss Dr Foster and Smith, I used to order all my aquarium supplies from them, not to mention stuff for my rats, and dog. Now I just use Amazon for most stuff, but its a little more, plus the extra sales tax.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just how businesses grow. They have to be willing and able to adapt to growing demands and ensure that they’re on top.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make it sound like a hostile takeover when it was actually a Save Our Ship.
Hostile takeover? You watch too much TV. You also have no clue what leverage was used in the sale if there was any at all because it's all kept private.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back