BRS acquires Marine Depot? WOW!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree its dangerous and rogue to consider sand rinsing and replacing. just musing about possibilities one day/futuregoals

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This legitimately makes me sad.

BRS is okay. But comes across like Walmart to me anymore

I genuinely love Marine Depot.

man this is disappointing

Same sentiment and experience here. MD was competitive, always shipped well and on time while the one time I ordered from BRS they loosely added Salifert test kits in with a bucket of salt in a box, which did not end well for the kits. :( When I sent them a follow up email, no reply on their end and so no repeat customer...

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a lot of ordering online as well but. We really should be supporting our LFS. Sometimes it takes a little longer but they usually can get you whatever you want at a competitive price. I actually picked up a couple kessil a360 for less than Brs sells them at LFS. Eventually the Walmarts, Amazons, microsoft(scary) of the world will take over everything.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a lot of ordering online as well but. We really should be supporting our LFS. Sometimes it takes a little longer but they usually can get you whatever you want at a competitive price. I actually picked up a couple kessil a360 for less than Brs sells them at LFS. Eventually the Walmarts, Amazons, microsoft(scary) of the world will take over everything.
My LFS doesn't stock anything that I want(API kits...nope) and my reef LFS doesn't stock much for dry goods except Brightwell Aquatics.

Looks like I'll be back to buying reef supplies at my Local Feed Store.

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does suck. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Dating myself here but back in the early 2000's there was place called That Fish Place that was the BRS of it's day. It did what BRS is doing but eventually went belly up. No business smarts/sense to make it work. While Ryan and Randy might know reefs, they don't strike me as the sharpest knives in the drawer on how to run a large, multi-dimensional biz. Maybe that's where the VC firm will step in. Time will tell.
Actually That Fish Place went downhill once they started the online stuff. I use to live 30 min from their store and it was an awesome place in the 90s. I go back now when visiting my family and think how sad it is. Maybe it was never that great and as a highschooler I thought it was awesome back then.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS doesn't stock anything that I want(API kits...nope) and my reef LFS doesn't stock much for dry goods except Brightwell Aquatics.

Looks like I'll be back to buying reef supplies at my Local Feed Store.
Or shop at saltwateraquarium.com

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ability to capture audience by way of solid videos for the reefing community to learn and make informed decisions is the gateway to power and leadership.

BRS had simply a better performance on video than MD.

I am a vendor that had accounts with both companies yet I never ordered from BRS since MD has a warehouse closer to me in in Georgia.

I hope BRS keeps that warehouse open.

jafoca11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echoing a lot of sentiments here. MAP pricing means that I don't know if things will change in the short term, but longer term, less choice is bad. I shopped all places between Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, and BRS. Guess I will be going with Premium Aquatics more in the future! I hope they pick up some of the brands / specific products that BRS doesn't carry....

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always shop from my LFS before online as well, but some things they dont carry and will take time. So it just depends. Also there are killer sales sometimes that I shop through.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back