BRS acquires Marine Depot? WOW!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does suck. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Dating myself here but back in the early 2000's there was place called That Fish Place that was the BRS of it's day. It did what BRS is doing but eventually went belly up. No business smarts/sense to make it work. While Ryan and Randy might know reefs, they don't strike me as the sharpest knives in the drawer on how to run a large, multi-dimensional biz. Maybe that's where the VC firm will step in. Time will tell.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. Most of these products really appear to be price locked anyway. A Radion costs the same everywhere (except locallly where it’s an extra $50). When there is a sale on something the sale is everywhere. What I don’t like is BRS is now promoting and pushing everything instead of the things that just worked well; often the most expensive but not always.

Im in Texas and honestly when I need something ASAP I go with Marinedepot because their shipping was cheaper and faster. I hope they keep their warehouse locations.

I would say they are not keeping them.

From the press release

"BRS purchased Marine Depot and is consolidating operations to its headquarters in Golden Valley, Minnesota."

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From the press release

"BRS purchased Marine Depot and is consolidating operations to its headquarters in Golden Valley, Minnesota."
Even the email said "Marine Depot will be shuttering its doors and longer taking orders."

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does suck. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Dating myself here but back in the early 2000's there was place called That Fish Place that was the BRS of it's day. It did what BRS is doing but eventually went belly up. No business smarts/sense to make it work. While Ryan and Randy might know reefs, they don't strike me as the sharpest knives in the drawer on how to run a large, multi-dimensional biz. Maybe that's where the VC firm will step in. Time will tell.

That Fish Place is still in business

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From the press release

But lots of companies in lots of industries keep warehouses in multiple locations. Operations could still be in MN but having a warehouse in MN, CA, and FL or Atlanta could make sense. BRS ships fast but I had to pay an extra $25 to get something shipped yesterday here on Friday or else I would have seen it next week.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will they now admit that its possible to instantly remove sandbeds without harm

thats all i care about from em :)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But lots of companies in lots of industries keep warehouses in multiple locations. Operations could still be in MN but having a warehouse in MN, CA, and FL or Atlanta could make sense. BRS ships fast but I had to pay an extra $25 to get something shipped yesterday here on Friday or else I would have seen it next week.
I do not know where marine Depot's warehouse was but they always shipped to Florida two days faster than BRS. Premium Aquatics ships lightning fast. Oddly enough, Fish Tanks Direct is only about an hour north of me and they are one of the slowest shippers. I gave up trying to figure it out. If I really really need it ASAP, I check Amazon first.
Marine Depot did have a lot of things that BRS did not, even as simple as threaded / slip bulkheads and other plumbing. It was a good company. I guess you can't blame them for taking the money and running.
Raining Money GIF by memecandy

vintage detritus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not good. I've used them both in the last few months resurrecting my "fallow" (e.g dead) tank, because all the hardware was broken. Marine Depot shipped much faster at far lower rates (if you didn't hit the "free limit") and its prices were lower . This may also be the end of ATAquarium, which sold MD's open/damaged box items at a 20 - 50% discount.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it doesn't look like BRS will carry any of the Aquamaxx products as they are all on sale now on MD site
I thought the press release said that they would still .....
  • Continuing to stock & support popular brands like AquaMaxx.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not good. I've used them both in the last few months resurrecting my "fallow" (e.g dead) tank, because all the hardware was broken. Marine Depot shipped much faster at far lower rates (if you didn't hit the "free limit") and its prices were lower . This may also be the end of ATAquarium, which sold MD's open/damaged box items at a 20 - 50% discount.
I didn't know that was prat of MD!

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the PE investment, I wonder if they’re gonna buy up more aquarium retailers, package them together, and sell the whole portfolio to a major pet player like petco or chewy.
Chewy is owned by PetSmart which is basically Petco 2.0

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know where marine Depot's warehouse was but they always shipped to Florida two days faster than BRS. Premium Aquatics ships lightning fast. Oddly enough, Fish Tanks Direct is only about an hour north of me and they are one of the slowest shippers. I gave up trying to figure it out. If I really really need it ASAP, I check Amazon first.
Marine Depot did have a lot of things that BRS did not, even as simple as threaded / slip bulkheads and other plumbing. It was a good company. I guess you can't blame them for taking the money and running.
Raining Money GIF by memecandy
I would have guessed Marine Depot was the bigger company but I swear I got a call from them regarding an order issue and it sounded like somebody in their living room complete with Dora in the background and a toddler yelling.

I believe they shipped from CA.

+1 to Amazon first these days if I need it fast but I just used my 10x rewards points on BRS to buy a PAR meter so it has its perks if you’re in no rush.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I see this helping consumers is now they have more warehouse space to hold and ship stuff out of.

Besides that, I see nothing else but more BS videos coming out on how to make reefers drink the secret sauce to crap that we don't even need.

My assumption is they can now have a warehouse on the W coast as well. For people like me (Commiefornia), even decent shipping can take 3-5 days from their main warehouse, even a full week sometimes. Only reason I generally would ever use marine depot is they are in Cali and I can get stuff in 2 days. Would definitely open up their reach to the left side of the country.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back