BRS acquires Marine Depot? WOW!

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always shop from my LFS before online as well, but some things they dont carry and will take time. So it just depends. Also there are killer sales sometimes that I shop through.
Same here. Ill hit all the LFS that are close to me before buying online. I'll go the extra step and ask the LFS if they can order certain items before I start spinning my wheels trying to find it online. Thanks how I bought my Bashsea sump and at a lower cost from ANY online vendor.

Support your LFS before supporting Online stores

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty crazy coming back into the hobby after a ~20 year break and still seeing Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot around. I'm in Indiana and used to buy from Jason @ PA when he was still working out of his house! Like most others, I buy almost all my dry goods at BRS... love the selection/availability and all the videos that demo/explain product. It does suck to see a longstanding business get gobbled up though :(

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is cheaper than both MD & BRS, so I always buy locally on products that are available.
Mind you, I just bought a mini reactor and Rox carbon from BRS two minutes ago!

IMO... BRS has been my go to. I purchased one item in the past few months from MD, and it came incomplete, and 7 days after the order. All of my orders from BRS have arrived in 2-3 days, with standard standard shipping. Well until the past couple months.

Hopefully this will mean BRS will be a one-stop-shop for ALL major aquarium supplies, since Im not a fan of buying from MD.

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the problem shopping with LFS( at least with me, and cannot generalize) --

a) if the LFS has nice looking store (pretty much using Radions, all system on apex yadda yadda yadda..), they are rude when doing the business. In my case, I did shop around for more than a couple hundred dollars. Never answer my questions, and looked me down. I wanted to give this LFS further business, but it was my only trip.

b) if the LFS is friendly (looks like dingy shop) they don't have the inventory.

I'm left with online stores like BRS, MD..

cc: @dank reefer

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks. I like BRS, but I honestly rare order from them because it's like they think everyone who does reef tanks is rich etc. So most of the time I don't order from them.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a partnership with BRS and stocks its products.

As a MN resident who doesnt have to deal with BRS shipping, I'm not too bent out of shape with this move. Yes, less competition isnt great, but I'd expect many items unique to MD to now be stocked by BRS, assuming they sold well. I typically only use MD and Premium Aquatics for items I cant get at BRS.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if BRS will keep the MD distributing center in Atlanta?
I am wondering the same about the facility in Garden Grove, CA too.. because shipping from there is so fast to me... reading on the MD site: "BRS purchased Marine Depot and is consolidating operations to its headquarters in Golden Valley, Minnesota.".. not sure if that is all operations but it kind of sounds like it..

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the problem shopping with LFS( at least with me, and cannot generalize) --

a) if the LFS has nice looking store (pretty much using Radions, all system on apex yadda yadda yadda..), they are rude when doing the business. In my case, I did shop around for more than a couple hundred dollars. Never answer my questions, and looked me down. I wanted to give this LFS further business, but it was my only trip.

b) if the LFS is friendly (looks like dingy shop) they don't have the inventory.

I'm left with online stores like BRS, MD..

cc: @dank reefer
I hear ya. But not all stores are the same!

We have 1 store here in my area that is HUGE, but they never have anything.
Another store around me that meets your #1 store you mention on your post, and they are great. If they dont have it they will order it for you if their supplier has it in stock.
Then there is the smaller store in my area that's only open 3 days a week cause they do maintenance all the other days, but he will order anything for you without even flinching.

This has been my experience in NC

When I lived in Florida it was completely different.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. But not all stores are the same!

We have 1 store here in my area that is HUGE, but they never have anything.
Another store around me that meets your #1 store you mention on your post, and they are great. If they dont have it they will order it for you if their supplier has it in stock.
Then there is the smaller store in my area that's only open 3 days a week cause they do maintenance all the other days, but he will order anything for you without even flinching.

This has been my experience in NC

When I lived in Florida it was completely different.
Which 3 stores are we talking about?

Badnade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like BRS but I think a monopoly in the business is a bad thing. I guess time will tell.

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have nothing against online powerhouse retailers if they bring added value to customers (like Amazon), but I've yet to see that added value from BRS in my 6 months of reefing... So far I've been able to get everything I need from Saltwateraquarium.com and Amazon.com. BRS provides great resource info for the industry, but so far they've yet enticed me to buy anything from them.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echo same thoughts. Nothing against BRS, but hopefully they keep shipping out of CA. MD shipping was far superior to BRS'. Next day vs 5+ business days really made a difference.
Also hope they carry the same products. I got lots of products from MD that BRS didn't carry

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back