BRS acquires Marine Depot? WOW!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopped into BRS to pickup an order. The workers know as much as we do at this point. But there is no room in the warehouse, so I'm guessing they keep MD's somewhere.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is what it is. Money makes the world go round.
Congrats brs on ur purchase. Lol.
Not everyone likes amazon. If the majority do. Thats what their gonna do.
I like ebay. I do buy from amazon but im not a prime member or anything. Lol.
Optimus prime is my homie.
-d

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing for me, and probably other reefers in central Indiana, is the biggest LFS that carries the most products has started charging much more than reasonable prices for things. They have also just lost the “we care about you as a hobbyist” vibe. I haven’t tried having them order things in two years, and I’m sure they still would. But after the experience I had with their maintenance team, which they tout all the time, I’m hesitant to give them much business.

for understanding, here’s what happened. I have an oceanic tech 120g tank and a beast of a steel stand I got used. Didn’t want to risk damaging it because who knows when I’d see another oceanic. Also, the deal I got on the whole thing was a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

anyway, the owner of the store treated me like I was stupid when I asked questions. I was confused because despite the fact I told him, in the message I left inquiring about moving the tank, when I would be working and thus couldn’t take a call… he called while I was at work with a client. I had already played phone tag so I answered anyway and was dealing with a client having behaviors. So yeah. Left that conversation feeling like the dude viewed me as an idiot. He then wrote down the wrong date for the move. Played phone tag over that but finally cleared it up. Asked him to make sure the team moving my tank would go ahead and make sure it was level for me. He said of course no problem.

when they moved it, they didn’t put the wooden slats that go under the stand, under the stand. They told my partner that they couldn’t level the tank because it’s too much risk for liability. And then they walked off with some of the plumbing it came with. They also charged me for 2 and a half hours when the entire thing took 50 minutes.

so yeah. Not wild about them. I really hope this buyout won’t make online shopping a similar experience

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of misinformation (maybe we should call it speculation) in this thread...

BRS, MD, PA, etc do NOT set prices on the majority of items in this hobby. They are MAP protected by the vendor. Ecotech decides what you sell a pump for. Neptune tells BRS what they can sell their stuff for. If BRS, MD, or anyone else breaks that agreement, no more account. Yes, this happens.

Prices are going up industry wide. BRS acquiring MD doesn't change this fact. I have mentioned this many many times here on R2R. Shipping is KILLING companies right now. Inflation is killing companies. Part shortages are hitting every industry at every level. I am ordering extra cardboard boxes since there is a worldwide shortage on them and it is only getting worse. By the end of summer, I suspsect every major company will be 5-10% higher in cost. Better grab that MP40 you have been eyeing. ;)

BRS didn't get a new warehouse recently. BRS HQ hasn't changed in years. I was jsut there in May and got a full warehouse tour from Randy. They have just updated everything and gotten more warehouse space in the same building as other tenants move out.

People talk about "monopoly" and all that and think this will change things. News flash: BRS is the largest in the world and it isn't even close. They have "owned" the market for quite a while now. I would be SHOCKED if we, the consumers, saw some massive shift in customer service from BRS because of this. It is their number one priority with signs all over the building stating this. I got to see them in person :D

I bet we continue to see great CS. BRS is bringing in brands that only MD carried. Yes, this is confirmed.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a lot of ordering online as well but. We really should be supporting our LFS. Sometimes it takes a little longer but they usually can get you whatever you want at a competitive price. I actually picked up a couple kessil a360 for less than Brs sells them at LFS. Eventually the Walmarts, Amazons, microsoft(scary) of the world will take over everything.
I would totally agree with you ... in principal, I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, my favorite LFS stocks RODI's that actually have the BRS label on them. So in supporting my LFS, I am basically driving an hour to buy something that they bought from BRS and marked up. Kindof defeats the purpose.

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two items that I am surprised haven't come up yet:

1. BRS has quietly been raising their minimum order amount to get free shipping. It is now $49 up from zero (for a short time) a few years ago. Marine Depot's minimum was $29 (Now says $39 but when I ordered a few weeks ago it was lower). Makes it harder to order a few odds and ends.

2. Marine Depot carries fresh water tank supplies. Randy and Ryan have talked recently in videos about fresh water tanks. As someone that has both fresh and salt water it will be interesting to see how this aspect develops.

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I feel as I have shopped at both places and like both for differing reasons. But these days you either need to always at your A game otherwise the competition will take you over. Happens all the time with big businesses all over the world.

And for those who are upset about the sale tax.... in June of 2018, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling that will likely change the exemption to collecting sales tax. States are expected to begin collecting sales taxes regardless of having a physical presence in the state.

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS does not sell a good variety of frozen foods. I just placed an order with MD for my Ocean Nutrition Formula Variety Pack - 2 LB box. and RODS food.
Cant find them anywhere for a reasonable price. This really SUCKS!
This is the same thing that happened to Dr. Fosters. I AM at a loss.

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of misinformation (maybe we should call it speculation) in this thread...

BRS, MD, PA, etc do NOT set prices on the majority of items in this hobby. They are MAP protected by the vendor. Ecotech decides what you sell a pump for. Neptune tells BRS what they can sell their stuff for. If BRS, MD, or anyone else breaks that agreement, no more account. Yes, this happens.

Prices are going up industry wide. BRS acquiring MD doesn't change this fact. I have mentioned this many many times here on R2R. Shipping is KILLING companies right now. Inflation is killing companies. Part shortages are hitting every industry at every level. I am ordering extra cardboard boxes since there is a worldwide shortage on them and it is only getting worse. By the end of summer, I suspsect every major company will be 5-10% higher in cost. Better grab that MP40 you have been eyeing. ;)

BRS didn't get a new warehouse recently. BRS HQ hasn't changed in years. I was jsut there in May and got a full warehouse tour from Randy. They have just updated everything and gotten more warehouse space in the same building as other tenants move out.

People talk about "monopoly" and all that and think this will change things. News flash: BRS is the largest in the world and it isn't even close. They have "owned" the market for quite a while now. I would be SHOCKED if we, the consumers, saw some massive shift in customer service from BRS because of this. It is their number one priority with signs all over the building stating this. I got to see them in person :D

I bet we continue to see great CS. BRS is bringing in brands that only MD carried. Yes, this is confirmed.
They don't top MD in frozen foods.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

That may well be true until one company has a monopoly (or close to a monopoly) on the products. If BRS ended up selling 95% of all of a specific manufacturer's products in the US, then they can pressurise the distributors to change their MAP prices or policy. In that case the manufacturer might not be so keen to jump to cancel that retailers account as they risk losing most of their sales. I have no idea if this could happen in the reef hobby industry but it does happen in other markets. This could be good or bad for the hobby if it did happen; it could result in either lower or higher prices.

My question would be 'what does BRS get out of the purchase MD'? Sure, they might get some new customers, some inventory and maybe a warehouse/staff if that was part of the deal, but BRS could do most of that without buying MD. I would be surprised if BRS couldn't have arranged contracts with all of the suppliers that MD used, so not stocking the same products was presumably a conscious decision in the past. Maybe it was just a chance to stop the competition falling into someone else's hands.

At least there are still other good online retailers, to compete with BRS, to keep them honest.

RBZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy from BRS, but it takes 3 Days to get to California.
MD was next day and that is why I bought from them.
This is going to be problem if there shipping isn't next day because they are only out of Minnesota. If distribution isn't on the West Coast, I'll have to find someone else to get my stuff from.

RBZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We as a community just need to support those alternative retailers. Otherwise BRS really will be the Walmart or Amazon of our hobby
If they don't have the distribution they are not.
MD had Atlanta and Nevada to send it out of.
BRS is going to find this an issue because of lack of distribution.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back