BRS acquires Marine Depot? WOW!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 15% lifetime discount is a no win situation for BRS. Take it away and MD customers are ticked. Leave it and BRS customers say what about us?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
note that there is usually a Home Depot across the street from Lowes (or Menards in the frozen tundra) - its what makes both of them sensitive to OUR needs (and wants) and I shop both of them for their strengths and avoid them for their shortcomings.
Randy and the gang are no longer in complete charge and Bertram will get their say in pound of flesh extraction.
Was a 60/40% BRS/MD shopper and will work hard to find the balance (LFS/other) to keep the new 800 pound gorilla honest.
Cannot see any good in this for us'ns in the long run

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't get this. BRS is a biz. Moves like this are how they try to stay in a position to be your fav vendor for years to come.

There's more than sufficient competition out there to keep them focused on attractive pricing and service.

Reefers are fickle. BRS knows. They still want us to buy with them and so does their PE backing.

This notion that every biz trying to grow is only doing so in order to force a customer into a bad spot is pretty antiquated.

If you're not GE, that's prob not what your doing or how you'll do it. And if you are GE, you'll be the one in a bad spot not your customers in the end.
Well said

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Articulated so well. It would seem like if BRS could have a broader distribution network they would be set. I do almost all my online shopping through BRS and have no complaints. Anytime I've interacted with CS it has been a smooth process with a favorable resolution. I understand the disappointment of a staple of the online market place closing, but it doesn't feel as though the sky is falling.

I think it is also important to realize the value of having a strong BRS type entity in our hobby. Most of the major brands keep a lot of their equipment off Amazon (less 3rd party sellers), and the byproduct of that is a more quality product and better customer service. So while people will want to complain about BRS, wait until you get a load of Amazon customer service and quality...
Both well said, so much paranoid, negative conjecture surrounding this.

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will make things better. BRS has treated me well in doing business with them and I think each will bring their good points together to make a better company.

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my RODI from Marine Depot because they had a deal that so long as you purchased the unit from them, you got 15% off of the replacement filters, etc. for life. It was a nice deal. They also had amazing service when one of the elbows broke. I'll miss them as a vendor. I wonder of @Bulk Reef Supply will honor that program?
I recently bought a complete RODI system from BRS that was not put together correctly and I couldn't fix it. They went beyond what was necessary and sent me a whole knew component that included parts that were not defective. That sold me on their willingness to do the right thing.

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Bertram has some big plans for the future of BRS, straight from Bertram website, talking about BRS,

ADD–ON ACQUISITION INTERESTS​

• Global and domestic providers of aquarium supplies and equipment
  • Online businesses in other pet-related categories (e.g. reptiles)
So I would venture a guess that BRS will be expanding in the future.

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Bertram has some big plans for the future of BRS, straight from Bertram website, talking about BRS,

ADD–ON ACQUISITION INTERESTS​

• Global and domestic providers of aquarium supplies and equipment
  • Online businesses in other pet-related categories (e.g. reptiles)
So I would venture a guess that BRS will be expanding in the future.
Sounds like BRS might be going the route of DRFS and trying to offer supplies for all markets as well as finally offering international shipping. Something they couldn't do in the past.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WISH BRS used FedEx. My last 2 orders shipped with some company named SpeeDee, and they were anything but. Orders used to get to me in WI in 2-4 days. Both orders with SpeeDee took twice as long, and tracking showed my last order sat for 4 days at their facility less than 40 miles away because they didn't have enough drivers to deliver it. I have actually been using saltwateraquarium.com more lately for that reason.
I love SpeeDee. If I order from BRS in the morning my stuff always arrives at my door in Madison the next day. That's a bummer your experience has been different.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back