BRS Apex “value edition”? Am I missing something?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I hear ya. I just don’t know many budget, value bargain people running ozone. I get it, I monitor orp, but I’m not a budget, value kinda reefer either.

The "value" name is odd. I just don't see where this is a negative in any way personally.

If I was looking to get a full blown Apex (I have the BRS Edition known as ELMO), I would definitely look at this over the more expensive package. $150 almost gets me to an ozone generator.

I think the biggest miss for Apex right now is anything around $300-350. Give me the EL brain, temp, pH, water level sensors, and an EB4 for $350. That's a home run package IMO

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…. And this is probably all my fault as a madman. I just associate “value” with entry level and couldn’t get around the label. I really don’t care myself other than I think there’s way too much marketing going on here.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any instructions given by BRS now has been to calibrate it to your tank. Use it for trends more than anything.

To me, it's still a pointless probe. If you can't keep your salinity in check, you need to go back to Reefkeeping 101. It is one of the easiest things to get right
Most sensors on controllers are not required, rather help to ensure things are running smoothly.

What happens if you develop a leak in your awc setup and it pulls out more than it takes in… then compensates with ato? Similar what if the awc water out ends up not pulling enough out? What happens if your skimmer starts pulling out extra water, you have a 2-3 gallon skimmate locker and the ato tops it off? Your doing tank maintenance and that little bit of water loss adds up dropping salinity?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that the wireless bar? The wired one is supposed to fix any issues with that right?

I dont use either. I get tempted to, for monitoring only. I don't see a reason for many of the functions touted as benefits.

I'm an old school reefer, and my main reason to not get one yet is they become a linchpin. People plug everything into a single point of failure, give control of every device to a single computer. ( a rudimentary one at that.)

The hydros multi brain is the only one that makes sense as it removes that single failure point. Now I don't claim to know enough about hydros to know if it's solved that issue entirely, and that is why I have not bought in for my 1200gal system yet.

I also am intrigued with the Reef factory equipment since each part runs independently but they communicate with each other. Testing parameters to include temp, and dosing / reporting results are the only functions I see needed with a controller.

Modern lights have apps/programming, dosers have apps/ programming, many return pumps do as well. All wavemakers do. So what really needs to be controlled by a single linchpin/ possible failure point?

The XP8 is the new power bar that can be hardwired to other control units from Hydros. 2 of my 8 outlets have failed and then magically fixed themselves a couple days later. CoralVue sent me a new XP8 that I need to install when I find the time.

I use controllers more as monitors and use both Hydros and Apex. No one system controls everything. Neptune's biggest weak point is the single point of failure you mentioned. It is a serious issue and one i hope they are tackling. Hydros does this much better.

The wifi power bar from Hydros is terrible. I avoid putting any mission critical items on it at all costs.

I still run halides and avoid all the fancy apps. They almost all suck

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "value" name is odd. I just don't see where this is a negative in any way personally.

If I was looking to get a full blown Apex (I have the BRS Edition known as ELMO), I would definitely look at this over the more expensive package. $150 almost gets me to an ozone generator.

I think the biggest miss for Apex right now is anything around $300-350. Give me the EL brain, temp, pH, water level sensors, and an EB4 for $350. That's a home run package IMO
Not so much negative. Just seeing the writing on the wall with marketing execs and a monitor that launched in 2016 that’s in my opinion due for a refresh.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not so much negative. Just seeing the writing on the wall with marketing execs and a monitor that launched in 2016 that’s in my opinion due for a refresh.

I'm 99% certain a "refresh" is coming but COVID messed things up. Chip shortages. Supply chain issues. Inflation. Etc.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got same email this morning too. I'm still debating whether or not to jump into the aquarium controller universe, then if it's Neptune or Hydros? Looking at this, it does conjure up some recent events with Ecotech releasing their G6 fixtures (with both companies being under the same umbrella).

G5 goes on sale, then a few weeks later G6 is announced. Is Neptune, or parent company Apature, pulling the same trick with the Apex controller? Neptune Apex 2022 Edition?
I was thinking the same thing. Questionable integrity to say least. Just trying to unload the old stock. Currently gen apex is 6 years old and is well over due for a re do.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. Questionable integrity to say least. Just trying to unload the old stock. Currently gen apex is 6 years old and is well over due for a re do.

This isn't a sale on the current stock.

A new Apex would need to be a serious overhaul to be an upgrade. Likely all new architecture and software involved. I've got to think that takes more than a year to work out all the bugs.

It's pretty clear Neptune was completely stagnant before the BRS merger

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a sale on the current stock.

A new Apex would need to be a serious overhaul to be an upgrade. Likely all new architecture and software involved. I've got to think that takes more than a year to work out all the bugs.

It's pretty clear Neptune was completely stagnant before the BRS merger
It’s not even a sale. They are acting like they are doing us a favor by not charging us for something we don’t want to buy anyway (salinity probe). I run 2 second hand els that I picked up for a few hundred bucks on separate systems because all I care about is temp and ph.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s not even a sale. They are acting like they are doing us a favor by not charging us for something we don’t want to buy anyway (salinity probe). I run 2 second hand els that I picked up for a few hundred bucks on separate systems because all I care about is temp and ph.

They provided another option. How is that bad for the consumer?

Don't want the salinity probe? Too bad. Spend $880 and get it anyway! Or spend $550 for the EL and lose other features.

Now someone can skip the salinity probe and save $150 if they want.

Options are good. Consumers win.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm 99% certain a "refresh" is coming but COVID messed things up. Chip shortages. Supply chain issues. Inflation. Etc.
I wonder if Terrence was too close in his statements in the recent reefing report where he predicted a new apex with native ecotech integration…
(In case anyone is not aware he had to stop doing the reefing report due to personal conflict of interest)

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would they not exclude both the ORP and salinity if creating a value edition of the full controller? That would be the way to save a potential buyer the most up front.

It's certainly debatable the need for either probe to the average reefer. I disconnected both of mine about a year ago and have not missed them. Had no desire to keep them calibrated. Even the need for a pH probe can be debated, I rarely look at what mine is reading anymore.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if Terrence was too close in his statements in the recent reefing report where he predicted a new apex with native ecotech integration…
(In case anyone is not aware he had to stop doing the reefing report due to personal conflict of interest)
I think it probably had more to do with the alternative Trident reagents they talked about. Raising awareness or "promoting" direct competition to a proprietary product.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it probably had more to do with the alternative Trident reagents they talked about. Raising awareness or "promoting" direct competition to a proprietary product.

Ecotech has/had a controller in the works. It uses wireless probes. They even had a PowerBar landing page on their site that was quickly removed.

It would make total sense that Bertram had Ecotech move all their controller tech to Neptune.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They provided another option. How is that bad for the consumer?

Don't want the salinity probe? Too bad. Spend $880 and get it anyway! Or spend $550 for the EL and lose other features.

Now someone can skip the salinity probe and save $150 if they want.

Options are good. Consumers win.
Exactly, providing consumers options is what they should've been doing from the start. Still not a sale. Funny to see people get excited over simply getting a fair deal. Saw somebody unloading one on here for $200 recently. That's a fair deal. How much do you want to bet that a new version of this thing is finally coming out in the next couple of months? Is this still going to be a "consumer win?"

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly, providing consumers options is what they should've been doing from the start. Still not a sale. Funny to see people get excited over simply getting a fair deal. Saw somebody unloading one on here for $200 recently. That's a fair deal. How much do you want to bet that a new version of this thing is finally coming out in the next couple of months? Is this still going to be a "consumer win?"

Is the new one going to make this one not work? Does a new one coming out make this one not worth the price in some way?

Or would it just be a bunch of FOMO from people?

If this system is worth the $730 from someone right now, then a new controller coming out doesn't change that. Just their own ego of having the new shiny toy is hurt.

I'll save everyone on the fence some trouble though. A new Apex is coming out! Someday at least. Maybe in 6 weeks, maybe in 6 years. If FOMO is your thing, I'd definitely hold off and just wait it out. Then you can be the beta tester for new technology.

n1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity probe has been out of stock for months with no real ETA for more.

After using ozone for the last week, I can't figure out what took me so long to try it. I'd much rather have an ORP probe and get ozone than get a salinity probe that will tell me something I already know. That's just me though. My tank is between 33-35ppt right now. I don't need a probe tracking that or telling me. Especially for $150 more
I read somewhere that the orp port can be configured to ph too. That would be helpful for those reefers that run a calcium reactor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back