BRS Investigates - Challenge of dosing/measuring copper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks - first - Great Company & Great Series!

I ask for your consideration on title’s challenge.
As you know Velvet & Ick seem to have exploded in last couple of years. More & more hobbyists are using copper on a regular basis. The challenge of incorrect dosing & nearly impossible to read test kits are a constant theme on the R to R Fish Disease forum. The fact that there doesn’t seem to be any type of copper reference solution available is hard to believe.

Seachem, Salifert, API & Chemetrics all appear to have reading & window of accuracy challenges. I’ve personally lost fish due to over/under dosing. I know I’m not alone. Help!!

Thank you

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks - first - Great Company & Great Series!

I ask for your consideration on title’s challenge.
As you know Velvet & Ick seem to have exploded in last couple of years. More & more hobbyists are using copper on a regular basis. The challenge of incorrect dosing & nearly impossible to read test kits are a constant theme on the R to R Fish Disease forum. The fact that there doesn’t seem to be any type of copper reference solution available is hard to believe.

Seachem, Salifert, API & Chemetrics all appear to have reading & window of accuracy challenges. I’ve personally lost fish due to over/under dosing. I know I’m not alone. Help!!

Thank you
Marine Ich, Velvet have always been problems in the hobby. They are not new nor are they any more prevalent now than they were more than a couple years ago. I agree with you though that a BRS investigates on Copper, it's testing and use would be helpful. I thought that copper was passe now though and everyone was using TTM or Hypo? I personally just dosed Mardel Coppersafe per the bottle instructions as I always have and there are no longer any visible signs of ich on the fish like there were a week ago...

OP
OP
Gmj4409

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Ich, Velvet have always been problems in the hobby. They are not new nor are they any more prevalent now than they were more than a couple years ago. I agree with you though that a BRS investigates on Copper, it's testing and use would be helpful. I thought that copper was passe now though and everyone was using TTM or Hypo? I personally just dosed Mardel Coppersafe per the bottle instructions as I always have and there are no longer any visible signs of ich on the fish like there were a week ago...
Yes you’re probably right. Those diseases have been around forever. I tried the TTM last spring & lost everything to Velvet. I also use Coppersafe but have found the various test kits almost useless for my eyes. I’ve recently read a lot of concern over dosing instructions - especially the product we use. Kudos to you for your success. I recently found myself way overdosed ( I think ) & lost a yellow tang. I believe it would be a great topic for one of the BRS Investigates!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back