BRS Investigates - The most quiet circulation pumps?

BaliSurferDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, all!

I just sent an email to BRS Support:
"We all have different levels of hearing, so what is not noticeable for some, may be for others. That is why I wished there would be some objective tests, using standardized equipment, for the different circulation pumps that are available today. Sounds like a perfect subject for BRS Investigates! A good quality audiometer, set 50 cm away, pointing straight at the base of the pump. Would be important that you let all the pumps break in for a week or two, for the results to be applicable for home reefers.

If I know BRS, you would probably go several levels deeper, measuring the frequency of sound, and test at different distances from the tank as well. Basic physics have it that higher frequency sound waves (air waves) decay faster, than lower frequency. Does it affect how "loud" we perceive pump noise? Are there pumps that are loud (ex. 45 dB?) at 20 cm distance, but quiet (ex. 19 dB?) at 1 m? Are there pumps that are medium-loud at 20 cm, that stay almost equally audible at 1 m or even 2 m? Graphs, please.

I think this would benefit the whole reefing community a lot. And with very little effort from you guys, compared to all your other incredibly detailed, time-consuming, and expensive investigations.

Best regards,
Tom-André Thomsen"

What do you guys think?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I suggested this to them a while back in regards to light fixtures and ballast fans. Maybe if enough people showed interest in this they just might do it. (+1 on the wife thing.)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back