OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of sand sleepers. They won’t even fit in a tub together lol At least not peacefully. Two of them grow to 9 and 10 inches lol I am sure they won’t get that huge in captivity but they are getting bulky.

I think it would be risky to do with more fragile leopards and Anampses wrasse but probably fine for those with the more popular/common sand sleepers that are pretty forgiving.

Bonus is the sand harbors spaghetti worms which the Copperband loves.

The sand would never stay in the tub either. My bigger wrasses throw it all over the tank and buries corals! It’s actually my kuiters leopard who is the worst offender of tossing sand everywhere. I would not have thought a leopard could be so destructive.

She will actually dive into the sand even when not sleeping and flop around like a beached whale to toss it all over. She does this to stir up pods and worms.

8D144B84-E02F-4D7F-AC84-F5062BA1ABCF.jpeg
I “once” had a Sleeper Goby. It looked more like Tinkerbell flying over Cinderellas castle spreading pixie dust. It was a mess. Three days it took me to catch it! I know.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way

i don’t think there’s any malice involved in anything brs posts lol. This is nerds nerding on one another, I’m sure someone has berated an online buddy for moving his minecraft blocks inappropriately just the same, I have after all heard what happens when a ten year old with a PlayStation headset gets into the game. It’s harsher than sand rinsers doing battle.
I’m always a BRS fan. Only God can be right all the time.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is a great polisher for sw.
Why they did sand filters in the 90s.
Different levels and corses of different media.
Deep sand bed refugium ect. However

I am a bare bottom or die. Heavy in. Heavy out reefer.
D

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had sand I'd pull it out once a month and rinse it only because I can't look at dirty sand in my system.
Why not barebottom and as much ocean rock you can pack in your system is my thoughts but we all do have our preferences.
Its funny my wife's daughter literally just brought this up 5 minutes ago.
I cant think of an lfs around me that has sand in any of there frag or coral tanks.
Every single lfs around me has sand in their coral/frag tanks. Personally, I can’t imagine having a reef tank without sand. I realize there benefits and drawbacks to both, but aesthetically when I’m looking at a tank with a bare bottom, it just immediately pulls my focus, takes me out of the fantasy, and is less immersive, I don’t feel like I’m looking at a little piece of the ocean. But like you said, we all have our preferences.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back