BRS is out of RO/DI and I need one so what do I get?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS said they expect some but that was last week. All I hear is people not getting stuff from overseas anymore. I want to get one now in case this stuff gets worse. I have my mixing station ready to do and 2 boxes of Fritz.

BRS recommended the 5stage after reading my water quality, but I was going to just get the 7 stage because it's all inclusive, not that much more than a 5 stage premium plus, and I would be guaranteed 0 TDS.

I only need 15gal a week so the 75gal is what I was going to get. What is a good compromise solution of an all in 1 setup for at least a 5 stage?. I came across the aquafx mako but I cant find reviews on it. I saw the marinedepot one but all I read on it is to just get the BRS. I read lots of posts with people stating that if they had to do it over they would just get a cheap one off amazon. So what cheap one on Amazon would you get?

I feel I am running out of time. I want tonorder this ASAP. I dont care if it's used as long as I can get refills for it easily. Please advise. Thank you...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few ro/di system makers here in the vendor section. I bought an all-in-one system w booster pump.
It is a vertex so no longer avail. But its worth the cash. Lots of good stuff available, just shop

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it is only one or two time thing, have you thought about buying at LFS? Generally, the water isn't too costly.
You are correct. It's about $1 a gallon for their cheap salt mix. I run Fritz. They do charge .75$ for rodi though. The problem is this... the LFS is carryout only right now and if things continue the way they are they will close their doors within a month. If you go this route I suggest you find an alternative. This very reason is why BRS is out of stock on RODIs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought mine from air, water and ice about 6 years ago and it's still going strong. The owner is usually pretty good with discounts too if you email Maybe free shipping or something.

https://airwaterice.com/

I emailed these guys and buckeyehydro. Airwaterice answered immediately as well as all follow up questions. This was an easy choice. I went with the 5 stage typhoon 3 extreme which is all enclusive. There are no add on canisters; it's all inline on the same mount. It looks great and looks rigid. It's a few bucks more than the equivalent BRS but you can tell it is much higher quality just by looking at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

BuckeyeHydro has yet to reply by the way. Their website looks like they sell awesome systems too. I needed the CS and they could not provide me with that today so I went elsewhere. Maybe they are deemed non-essential. I travel to Ohio a couple times a week to work in Columbus and everybody and their brother seems to think their job is essential.

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. It's about $1 a gallon for their cheap salt mix. I run Fritz. They do charge .75$ for rodi though. The problem is this... the LFS is carryout only right now and if things continue the way they are they will close their doors within a month. If you go this route I suggest you find an alternative. This very reason is why BRS is out of stock on RODIs.
FWIW, in MS, pet sales stores are considered essential. Then again, so are many others I was surprised about. But, I have RODI for convenience to be honest.

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed these guys and buckeyehydro. Airwaterice answered immediately as well as all follow up questions. This was an easy choice. I went with the 5 stage typhoon 3 extreme which is all enclusive. There are no add on canisters; it's all inline on the same mount. It looks great and looks rigid. It's a few bucks more than the equivalent BRS but you can tell it is much higher quality just by looking at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

BuckeyeHydro has yet to reply by the way. Their website looks like they sell awesome systems too. I needed the CS and they could not provide me with that today so I went elsewhere. Maybe they are deemed non-essential. I travel to Ohio a couple times a week to work in Columbus and everybody and their brother seems to think their job is essential.

I have the air water ice extreme typhoonIII and I have been using it for over 9 years this year. They have excellent warranty support and I think I've only had to use it once to replace a faulty ASOV. I highly recommend them.

FWIW, in MS, pet sales stores are considered essential. Then again, so are many others I was surprised about. But, I have RODI for convenience to be honest.

Everything has been classified as essential business in Mississippi. Lol

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I agree that they are essential as pets need supplies to live too. Every pet store around here does not allow entry. If you go to the reef2reef sponsors page you will see some closing down simply because they can no longer get supplies. I am glad you have a ro/di. You are good to go.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice, yeah they've always been good to me. I'm glad you found one you like. Like I said I've had mine for years. I love it. I get media from them and sometimes from BRS, just depends on prices lol.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice, yeah they've always been good to me. I'm glad you found one you like. Like I said I've had mine for years. I love it. I get media from them and sometimes from BRS, just depends on prices lol.
I saw a package for $50 as an addon accessory:
Is this all I need?

I also saw the DI resin for $50 which stated its 4 canisters worth. I'm guessing I need both...

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from air, water and ice about 6 years ago and it's still going strong. The owner is usually pretty good with discounts too if you email Maybe free shipping or something.

https://airwaterice.com/

+1 I also have a 7yr old typoon 3 from awi. It's been great! My only complaint is that I didn't realized the di section isn't refillable. So eventually I had to buy a separate di canister.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a package for $50 as an addon accessory:
Is this all I need?

I also saw the DI resin for $50 which stated its 4 canisters worth. I'm guessing I need both...

Those are replacement filters. You want the full rodi set up

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few RODI systems .... all essentially identical (common OEM probably). Doesn’t matter.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back