Brs kalk - traditional brand kalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey brs, figured I'd make a post for everyone that has switched from our traditional kalkwasser to the brs pharma line kalk. In the past I've used tlf and esv kalk, but kept the containers to fill with my new pharma kalk. When I dump the 4 pound bag into the esv 4 pound jug, it barely fills half of it. The esv jug is usually filled to the brim (with any other kalk) and it's still 4 pounds. The bag can only fill just under 3 little fishies 1.1 pound containers. This is not a question of the pharma kalk weight cause it is 4 pounds but is it more dense? It looks very very dry and caustic compared to other kalkwasser, but the real question is -
do I still use 2 tspn per gallon?
This is a topic I've brought up on livestreams since you guys got the pharma kalk, could you guys maybe checkup on this?
Thank you! Sabella

AdamBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sabella,
Our pharma grade kalk is a little more dense than some other non-pharma grade kalks out there. Based on our own experience, we recommend a maximum saturation of 2 tsp per 1 gallon of RODI. We did an investigates video not to long ago looking into a few specific types of kalkwasser in comparison to our pharma grade kalk. I can't say for sure, but the greater number of contaminants in the other brands could lead to this difference in volume. I'm not saying the other kalk is half contaminants, but its possible that they make the kalk a little more "fluffy." It's also possible that the other brands aren't actually 4 lbs. The only way to really confirm would be to weigh the other product to confirm that it is in fact 4 lbs. That said, our mixing instructions for our BRS brand of kalk haven't changed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back