• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

BRS now charges sales tax?

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
U

User1

View Badges
Likely because of the Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair and subsequent decisions by most states to require online retailers to collect sales tax across the board regardless of whether the business has a physical presence. Where are you located?

And yes, this is the catalyst. And everyone should vote regardless of their party if they are able to because we are all taxed enough.

Personally speaking I with everyone had to write a monthly check to both the State and the Federal governments, including any city taxes. I bet people would vote a lot differently once they write that check or hit submit on the monthly payment button. Automatic payroll deduction and earning statements people tend to gloss over but when they have to actually sit down and do it, well, it just feels different and the angst will remind them next time they vote to add $.05 cents or $0.35 cents to a gallon of gas or anything else you vote it only to be later kept permament...

Rant off.

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corruptifornia was first in line holding out its anemic hand for internet sales tax..

U

User1

View Badges
NV is not on list guess im lucky on that just can't get overnite here I live to far from a big airport.

Not yet but you have a new Gov and that will change. Not to mention the people moving from California to Nevada will change things even more.

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feels like #1.. we're taxed here on everything. I think I want to move to state #50, will it be Fl,NH, NV
Is AZ or TX in the running?

Michael Gilbreath

we all have are ways
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet but you have a new Gov and that will change. Not to mention the people moving from California to Nevada will change things even more.
Yeah we know but there having it out right now going to learn that there is a lot more people outside the big city that don't like the changes there trying to make. And yes Cali people think there way is the only way at times but I live in the middle of nowhere NV so don't have any problems out here with them. Lol no malls,or big towns and the towns around here or run by old familys that don't like change much.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think WA was actually first, Amazon started collecting tax on orders shipped to WA a long time ago, like 18 months.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just a matter of time Folks ! The state or otherwise will get their cut. I'm in Florida & about to place a big order from BRS . I don't know if I'll have to pay sales tax or not. Will find out soon enough !

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great state of NH...no sales tax :cool:

NH is fairly exceptional, true. You have a partial income tax but no sales tax. That benefits poorer people.
How the heck do you keep your state running with so little tax revenue? Are there other taxes other states don't have?
My state has sales tax but no income tax. That benefits wealthier people.
When I was working, I was so happy we didn't have an income tax.
Now that I'm retired, we need to institute an income tax and reduce the sales tax, it's only fair. :) ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
How the heck do you keep your state running with so little tax revenue? Are there other taxes other states don't have?

I'll pass on the other questions / comments but to this point those states do so by actually governing. Simply put they do what the people elected them to do which is govern. They leave politics at the door and work to balance the budget while prioritizing what needs to get done. No more than what you or I would do with our homes, our bills, etc.

I'm looking at a empty aquarium after an upgrade. I would love nothing more than to order a few corals and see how they do. I can't at the moment. Similar to what I said above about the state governing, setting priorities, and how we do the same at home. Well, with two in college I need to redo priorities and thus adding corals is a lower priority right now ;)

But in the end yeah - they govern. Something the rest of the other states, especially California, haven't come to grip with yet.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be an unpopular opinion but I'll say that it's about time internet sales were taxed at their state of origin's rate.
Online sellers not being taxed gives them a ridiculously unfair advantage over local businesses of all kind, especially for larger purchases.
It also cuts deeply into state revenues which is used for so many things that keep our lives tolerable.
Online sales should have been taxed right from the start. It's only the magnitude of the issue that's kept it from being handled properly for so long.
As far as people in business complaining about how complicated it will be for them to pay taxes now -
Please, that's nonsense. It can all be done in automated software. But you do have to update your sales and accounting systems.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NH is fairly exceptional, true. You have a partial income tax but no sales tax. That benefits poorer people.
My state has sales tax but no income tax. That benefits wealthier people.
When I was working, I was so happy we didn't have an income tax.
Not that I'm retired, we need to institute an income tax and reduce the sales tax, it's only fair. :) ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Most likely higher property taxes. Texas for example has no sales tax but when I hear what people pay in property tax for (relatively) cheap properties, it blows my mind.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pass on the other questions / comments but to this point those states do so by actually governing. Simply put they do what the people elected them to do which is govern. They leave politics at the door and work to balance the budget while prioritizing what needs to get done. No more than what you or I would do with our homes, our bills, etc.

I'm looking at a empty aquarium after an upgrade. I would love nothing more than to order a few corals and see how they do. I can't at the moment. Similar to what I said above about the state governing, setting priorities, and how we do the same at home. Well, with two in college I need to redo priorities and thus adding corals is a lower priority right now ;)

But in the end yeah - they govern. Something the rest of the other states, especially California, haven't come to grip with yet.

I like many of your posts but what you're saying here is massively oversimplified and vague.
All governments govern. All governments have some degree of inefficiency.
And nobody anywhere leaves politics at the door, especially not in present day America.
What a government has to do varies hugely based on geography and population.
California's productivity, government and population are larger than those of many countries, never mind other states.
If you're saying that California does less well with its resources than some of the also-ran countries in the world, I'd disagree.

U

User1

View Badges
I like many of your posts but what you're saying here is massively oversimplified and vague.
All governments govern. All governments have some degree of inefficiency.
And nobody anywhere leaves politics at the door, especially not in present day America.
What a government has to do varies hugely based on geography and population.
California's productivity, government and population are larger than those of many countries, never mind other states.
If you're saying that California does less well with its resources than some of the also-ran countries in the world, I'd disagree.

Well, we all have our moments and I guess my stock price went down with you ;) I'm teasing of course.

It was massively oversimplified because to answer it properly it would be like doing a doctoral dissertation. I understand California's economy and its rank in the US gdp compared to others be it Texas, New York, Idaho, or say Florida. I am saying we do less here than anywhere else when you look at the bigger picture because I see my earning statements monthly and year end taxes. I then see how my tax dollars are misused and spent on things most people do not care for (reference said bullet train that is over budget time and time again and delayed and now just a fraction of the original planned rail run). Let us not even get into the infrastructure that was built many years ago to collect and store rain water on the high seasons for the years of drought. We can't raise existing damns, build new ones, let alone add new reservoirs. Then there is lack of public transportation such as reliable and efficient trains or subways and then there is of course traffic. General funds continue to get pulled for other projects and Frankly my voice doesn't matter in this state because of LA, San Francisco, and Sacramento, and of course gerrymandering - and I vote every election.

So yeah, I feel it does less and makes up for it by taxation. And I didn't even mention CalPERS unfunded bul'larky.

But hey - we can disagree. Hopefully we would still be able to shoot the breeze over lunch.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we all have our moments and I guess my stock price went down with you ;) I'm teasing of course.

It was massively oversimplified because to answer it properly it would be like doing a doctoral dissertation. I understand California's economy and its rank in the US gdp compared to others be it Texas, New York, Idaho, or say Florida. I am saying we do less here than anywhere else when you look at the bigger picture because I see my earning statements monthly and year end taxes. I then see how my tax dollars are misused and spent on things most people do not care for (reference said bullet train that is over budget time and time again and delayed and now just a fraction of the original planned rail run). Let us not even get into the infrastructure that was built many years ago to collect and store rain water on the high seasons for the years of drought. We can't raise existing damns, build new ones, let alone add new reservoirs. Then there is lack of public transportation such as reliable and efficient trains or subways and then there is of course traffic. General funds continue to get pulled for other projects and Frankly my voice doesn't matter in this state because of LA, San Francisco, and Sacramento, and of course gerrymandering - and I vote every election.

So yeah, I feel it does less and makes up for it by taxation. And I didn't even mention CalPERS unfunded bul'larky.

But hey - we can disagree. Hopefully we would still be able to shoot the breeze over lunch.

Nah it's all good. And I didn't realize that you were a Californian, so if anyone is likely to have an informed opinion on the matter, it's probably you! :)

U

User1

View Badges
Nah it's all good. And I didn't realize that you were a Californian, so if anyone is likely to have an informed opinion on the matter, it's probably you! :)

It is just one persons opinion (mine that is) in a State with many, many, more people.

I'm always open and try to listen. Probably why I'm still married 33 or so years later, right? It is good to reply like you did up there to keep people either in check, honest, or to explain/clarify. I think it is good when it is civil. If I'm ever not please call me on it.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back