BRS Par Meter Rental Results

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED lighting has always been a mystery to me. Changes I've made to my 525XL in the past have always led to LPS fading and eventually death. I felt like I was throwing darts looking for settings that worked. The recent BRS video regarding PAR, lighting overlap and height above the water surface was very helpful. $70 bucks seems pricey for the par meter rental especially when that money could be used elsewhere. However, similar to my Berghia post when you do the cost/benefit analysis, to prevent future coral losses the rental makes sense.

Critical variables:
- RedSea Reefer 525XL
- Clearview Classic screen top
- Hydra 26HD's mounted 11" off water surface (Height and lateral movement of the lights is not changeable)
- Measurements varied dramatically due to water movement on the surface. I did my best to capture a reading with all pumps on. I then went through and took all readings again without the return or MP40QD's running. The values below are the average of the two numbers. For the most part they were less than 10% of each other.
- Corals: Easy SPS - Montipora, Pocillapora. LPS - Acans, frogspawn, hammers, goni's, elegance, duncans, blastos. Softies - Palys, Zoas, and the big leather (which surprise surprise seems to LOVE PAR).

Here are the PAR results and the corresponding settings on the Hydras. Based on the PAR numbers it looks like my last dart was pretty much on target ~100-150. I am however concerned that I do not have the correct spectrum settings. The lights are currently running at 39w which is about 45%. Opinions and recommendations are welcomed!
PXL_20201020_185340209.jpg

26hd.JPG

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post.

I think your PAR levels are a bit lower than I run, but OK overall. And your spectrum is OK, I might bump up the shorter wave lengths a bit and that would also bump up your PAR a bit.

But overall I think your numbers look OK.

OP
OP
H

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post.

I think your PAR levels are a bit lower than I run, but OK overall. And your spectrum is OK, I might bump up the shorter wave lengths a bit and that would also bump up your PAR a bit.

But overall I think your numbers look OK.

Thank you for the reply. I will bump up the shortwave, drop the whites and retake measurements.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean to turn down the whites, or drop them all together?

IMHO you need some white as some of the other spectrum in the white light help with some of the coral's other processes.

2013-07-31 09.30.42.jpg
2013-11-13 11.00.42.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back