Brs pukani dry rock

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting 10 pounds worth of brs pukani. It looks like good rock and was thinking of getting some. Have some of y'all got some and how do you like it? Also, how is it with curing it? Just throw them in a bucket with some water a heater and a bubbler for like 3 weeks? Just wanting to get some info.

Wayneb332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 50 # of reef cleaners dry rock a few weeks ago. I really like it I put it straight in my tank it is looking good. I have not had any issues with phosphates or anything.

Wayneb332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456527941.635427.jpg

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I was looking at dry cause it was so much cheaper than live

Wayneb332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it the shipping was fast I just let it warm up a bit and started moving them around.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never used anything else. Love the Dry Pukani & Reef Saver from BRS.
I personally chose to cure it both times. It has been known to leach phosphates and I'd rather it did so in a bucket and not in my tank. Regardless of what some will say, IMO all dry rock has some amount of phosphates.

Wayneb332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the reef saver rock if you start reading the reviews you will probably pick the reef cleaners. You can go to thier site they are great to deal with.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find that you have more dead and dried out sponges, crabs, snails, etc in all of the many crevices of the rock. You will need to remove as much of this as you can and wash the rock down well. BRS suggests to cure the rock naturally over time, but many people clean it in an acid or vinegar bath to eat away the outer layer of rock, in an attempt to release some of the phosphates. My rock was loaded with phosphates. I did pressure wash the rock and I bleached it, but decided against the acid bath, since the rock is already very fragile. I had the luxury of having a great deal of time to work with, since I am waiting on a Reef Savvy tank. So, the rock has been curing in a Brute container since July. I have run some GFO and changed the water on occasion and finally have my phosphates down to .02. Hopefully will have that down even further by the time my tank arrives.

Saltwaterwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find that you have more dead and dried out sponges, crabs, snails, etc in all of the many crevices of the rock. You will need to remove as much of this as you can and wash the rock down well. BRS suggests to cure the rock naturally over time, but many people clean it in an acid or vinegar bath to eat away the outer layer of rock, in an attempt to release some of the phosphates. My rock was loaded with phosphates. I did pressure wash the rock and I bleached it, but decided against the acid bath, since the rock is already very fragile. I had the luxury of having a great deal of time to work with, since I am waiting on a Reef Savvy tank. So, the rock has been curing in a Brute container since July. I have run some GFO and changed the water on occasion and finally have my phosphates down to .02. Hopefully will have that down even further by the time my tank arrives.
Hey I had massive amounts of phosphates with brs dry also....when u say "bleached " the Rock how do u go about doing so? Do u soak it with half bleach half water for a couple minutes then rinse off with rodi water? I always see people doing this to help take out phosphates on dry rock but never know what they mean, thanks

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching will not remove phosphates from the rock itself, but I bleached it to help break down some of the dried, dead organics on the rock, which would help reduce the phosphates coming from the stuff on the rock. I forget now, but I believe I put a couple of gallons of bleach in about 20 gallons of RO water and just let the rock sit for about a week. Then I dumped that water, rinsed the rock off well and soaked it again in RO water several times over a week or so to help remove the bleach. Then I let it air dry for a while in the sun. After that, I put the rock in the Brute container with salt water, a heater and a reactor with GFO. I add MicroBacter7 periodically and ghost feed the rock every now and then. Mostly, I just wanted to cure the rock to some extent and hopefully rid it of nuisance algae & pests before going into the tank.

There are different ways to prepare the rock. This is just what I chose to do.

Wayneb332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 0 phosphates when I added my reef cleaner rock. I did forget to mention I rinsed the rock off in ro water before placing in tank. There is powder from shipping.

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 25 pounds pukani from BRS to add to my 125 about a month ago. It is covered with dead sea life. I would not put it directly into the tank unless is new and no animals in it, even then probably not. I just soaked it in regular room temp tap water for a week. The smell was awful after that time. I took it out and washed it in clean water then put it into my tank. I did watch the tank for ammonia but there wasn't any. I did already have a bunch of live rock in the tank.

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put around 30lbs in my cube around two weeks ago. The Pukani looks awesome, and is very light. I was worried about the same things you are and it was covered in brown dead stuff so I put it all in a brute trash can, filled it with hose water and added 2 gallons of muratic acid for 30 min. I wasn't supper impressed so I soaked it in bleach afterwards for 24 hrs. Since bleach doesn't really do anything for the phosphates I decided to do the acid bath again. They turned out much cleaner this time. I just tested my water for phosphates using the Hannah checker and it was at .08, just for note; I tested my 0 TDS Rodi water with the same checker and it reads .04. Not sure what that means but there you go.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for curing it. Just put it in a bucket and does it need salt water or does it matter? Does it need a heater and a bubbler as well?

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here what I just commented in another thread about pukani rock. I have started a few systems with it without any problems...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back