BRS Reactor Help Installing Carbon - The pads always slip!!!

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted BRS and they are normally very helpful. They guy I talked to was not. So I am hoping one of you can :)

How do you properly install carbon between there pads. I measure the carbon I should use based on their calculator. I put the bottom pad in and push as far down as I think it needs to be to fit the media (problem 1). I pour carbon in slowly and pray it doesnt tip the pad (problem 2). I stop pouring when I think I have enough media for the top pad and cap to fit on with no gap in the media but not too much media that pushing the cap down will force the bottom pad down tipping and causing a mess (problem 3).

How do you properly install the media without the problems above?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted BRS and they are normally very helpful. They guy I talked to was not. So I am hoping one of you can :)

How do you properly install carbon between there pads. I measure the carbon I should use based on their calculator. I put the bottom pad in and push as far down as I think it needs to be to fit the media (problem 1). I pour carbon in slowly and pray it doesnt tip the pad (problem 2). I stop pouring when I think I have enough media for the top pad and cap to fit on with no gap in the media but not too much media that pushing the cap down will force the bottom pad down tipping and causing a mess (problem 3).

How do you properly install the media without the problems above?

Do you have the correct pads? They should be a little bigger so they don't move, not the smaller foam one. My bottom pad is wedged in there and I use a stick-like device to push each side down a little at a time to keep it level.

Edit: couldn't remember if they were soft or hard. Haven't run the reactor in a while.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine, too, are just slightly snug enough not to move. I think you can order pads separately— maybe you can double-up on the pads to make them less likely to shift?

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the correct pads? They should be a little bigger so they don't move, not the smaller foam one. My bottom pad is wedged in there and I use a stick-like device to push each side down a little at a time to keep it level.

Edit: couldn't remember if they were soft or hard. Haven't run the reactor in a while.
Using the pads that came with it. They are foam. I can try a stick like device. Seems like if they made it open from both side you could just use a stick from the bottom and push everything up in place.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine, too, are just slightly snug enough not to move. I think you can order pads separately— maybe you can double-up on the pads to make them less likely to shift?
You can. Glad I am not the only one.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I contacted BRS they guy told me I could push everything to the bottom. I actually happen to try that a while back. The pressure forced the top pad up, making everything tumble defeating the entire purpose. When I questioned him on this he said it could be used both ways. Yet I knew it did not work and every brs video shows it at the top.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So contacted BRS again, got Chad this time (I have spoken to him before, hes good). He suggested pushing the bottom pad all the way down, fill with right amount of carbon then push second pad down. To keep everything in place cut a piece of pvc to length and use it as a wedge. Thought it was a good idea so thought I would share. Going to give it a shot myself.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So contacted BRS again, got Chad this time (I have spoken to him before, hes good). He suggested pushing the bottom pad all the way down, fill with right amount of carbon then push second pad down. To keep everything in place cut a piece of pvc to length and use it as a wedge. Thought it was a good idea so thought I would share. Going to give it a shot myself.

If the water was pushing it up, then you have the flow to high going through the reactor. You have a valve connected between the pump and reactor, right? In most cases you want to close that valve a bit to slow the flow.

Plus, pushing it all the way down can make it a pain getting out, lol. ;)

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water was pushing it up, then you have the flow to high going through the reactor. You have a valve connected between the pump and reactor, right? In most cases you want to close that valve a bit to slow the flow.

Plus, pushing it all the way down can make it a pain getting out, lol. ;)

I see you point with pushing all the way down. Your suggestion with lowering the flow is still with it pushed it all the way down. So I am curious how you install it without the problems I described above.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you point with pushing all the way down. Your suggestion with lowering the flow is still with it pushed it all the way down. So I am curious how you install it without the problems I described above.

Just how I said before. My pads are slightly oversized, so they wedge in, just like the guy above's also.

I usually push it almost halfway down, evenly, then I take the jar of carbon and dump it into a larger measuring cup so I know how much I'm ysing and the pour spout on the cup makes it easier to pour the carbon into the reactor without spilling it. I hold the reactor on an angle while pouring it in, like you would do when filling a beer from a keg.

Usually when I put the top on, it's a tight fit against the top of the canister so it keeps the carbon compacted. That way, even if your flow is high, it won't move because the top pad is pressed up against the lid when it's closed.

You want to keep it towards the top. Even if you put the top pad on and have to squish it in to fit, it should move the bottom pad only slightly, if at all, but evenly. You want the top pad tight against the lid. No pad should move then.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just how I said before. My pads are slightly oversized, so they wedge in, just like the guy above's also.

I usually push it almost halfway down, evenly, then I take the jar of carbon and dump it into a larger measuring cup so I know how much I'm ysing and the pour spout on the cup makes it easier to pour the carbon into the reactor without spilling it. I hold the reactor on an angle while pouring it in, like you would do when filling a beer from a keg.

Usually when I put the top on, it's a tight fit against the top of the canister so it keeps the carbon compacted. That way, even if your flow is high, it won't move because the top pad is pressed up against the lid when it's closed.

You want to keep it towards the top. Even if you put the top pad on and have to squish it in to fit, it should move the bottom pad only slightly, if at all, but evenly. You want the top pad tight against the lid. No pad should move then.

Thanks are you using different pads then what it came with?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks are you using different pads then what it came with?

You're aware that the water flows from the inside bottom of the reactor to the top for exit, right? The water doesn't go top-downward. Just making sure you knew this.

I'm using the pads it came with, the black Deluxe Reactor. Though I have ordered a pair of new ones once or twice. When too much gfo got into the pad I replaced them when I used carbon. I also replace them after they've been squeezed out so much that they lose their shape.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're aware that the water flows from the inside bottom of the reactor to the top for exit, right? The water doesn't go top-downward. Just making sure you knew this.

I'm using the pads it came with, the black Deluxe Reactor. Though I have ordered a pair of new ones once or twice. When too much gfo got into the pad I replaced them when I used carbon. I also replace them after they've been squeezed out so much that they lose their shape.
Gotcha. Yup, thats why I was having an issue with the pads being pushed to the top when I was told to push everything to the bottom.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi....
I know this is an old thread, I'm going to start running carbon in a BRS Reactor. Has anyone used the thicker foam pads that BRS has for their RO/DI resin cartridges? I have quite a few of the thick foam pads, just wondering if they're too restrictive vs the open cell design of the pads that come with the BRS Reactors.
Thanks all for looking.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided your dedicated pump or manifold (depending on which way you are going) is powerful enough to move the water through, I don’t think there will be any problem. The canisters seemed well designed, in terms of flow. Not the precise same question that you asked, but I have used the foam pad, plus filter floss, plus carbon, all in the same reactor, no problem. Best wishes.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to try the thicker pads and see what happens. I thought I'd just check here to see if anyone had tried them or even prefer them.
Overall it's not that big a deal either way.
Take care

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white foam pads kinda worked, the pads slipped down the BRS media container when I turned off the pump. When I turned the pump back on the white foam rose in the chamber and came in contact with the carbon. I've gone away from the BRS media container for carbon. I bought a new LifeReef sump, and in the process of changing over to it. At some point, I'll get one or two LifeReef media containers and go that route.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys with all the reactor problems.....

You can just reverse the plumbing( in and out), so the water pushes down through the reactor? This pushes all the media to the bottom, and it doesn't tumble. This is of course if your only running carbon it.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought about reversing the flow. But I'm moving on to the LifeReef media containers.
If someone has tried reversing the flow for the BRS media container & using the white foam pads. I'd love to hear if it works............
:)

Back