BRS RODI and booster pump question

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS 6 Stage RODI system and Aquatec 8800 booster pump. When I hooked up the booster pump I am getting 98 PSI. Is this too much pressure? I know that higher pressure makes for a more efficient system, but is there such a thing as too much pressure? Could I damage something with 98 PSI?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bit on the high side. You may want to dial it back to no higher than 90psi. Damage to plumbing and canisters can happen at pressures over 90. I believe that BRS recommends no higher than 90 for their RO/DI units...

Per BRS's website..." Aquatech booster pumps have a small Allen screw on the head of the pump that can be used to decrease the pressure output of the pump. After installing the booster pump if the pressure at the membrane exceeds 90 PSI it will be required to decrease the pressure and can be done while the system is running. "

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bit on the high side. You may want to dial it back to no higher than 90psi. Damage to plumbing and canisters can happen at pressures over 90. I believe that BRS recommends no higher than 90 for their RO/DI units...
Thanks, but how do I "dial back" the pressure? The pump (Pan World) is "all or nothing". Without the booster pump I only getting 35 PSI from my house (I'm on a well).

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, sorry for the confusion. The booster pump is an Aquatech 8800:

Then dial it back to 90 psi..
Per BRS's website..." Aquatech booster pumps have a small Allen screw on the head of the pump that can be used to decrease the pressure output of the pump. After installing the booster pump if the pressure at the membrane exceeds 90 PSI it will be required to decrease the pressure and can be done while the system is running. "

OP
OP
Aggie1978

Aggie1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then dial it back to 90 psi..
Oh, thank you, I guess it would be good if I read the instruction, huh? :p

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, thank you, I guess it would be good if I read the instruction, huh? :p
Yup. And to assist you further, under special notes...
booster pump.jpg

And, FWIW... If someone took the time to advise, show your appreciation and hit the "Like" button

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BRS 6-stage system runs at about 80-85 PSI and shuts off at 90, using the same booster pump as you have. As someone stated, there is a tiny pressure adjustment screw for the pump which can be used to downward-adjust the shut off pressure. I would actually like to adjust my booster pump down by 3-5 psi, but MAN that has got to be the tiniest screw I have ever seen. Haven’t found a screwdriver small enough yet— not even for eyeglass adjustments.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BRS 6-stage system runs at about 80-85 PSI and shuts off at 90, using the same booster pump as you have. As someone stated, there is a tiny pressure adjustment screw for the pump which can be used to downward-adjust the shut off pressure. I would actually like to adjust my booster pump down by 3-5 psi, but MAN that has got to be the tiniest screw I have ever seen. Haven’t found a screwdriver small enough yet— not even for eyeglass adjustments.
That's because it is a 1.5 mm allen wrench/hex key needed and not a screwdriver to adjust the pressure on that pump.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

learn something new every day,been dialing back to 85-90 w a valve for x years :rolleyes: :cool:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back