Brs taking over marine depot

Sunny in Miami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a few items from MD but I didn't like the added shipping charge. I use another supplier that doesn't charge for shipping on small orders.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing about the consolidation that does bother me is them stating that they're consolidating operations at their MN headquarters; I read that as a lot of people at Marine Depot's operations in CA are going to be losing their jobs. While you always lose some staff with a merger, you almost always keep some too. I would've preferred that they kept the CA operations and warehouse alive; not only would it keep people employed, it would give them multiple places to ship from - less distance to ship to reach most of the west coast which could help them on shipping costs... or what about wintertime when a massive snowstorm hits MN and shipping out of there is ground to a near halt? Having multiple warehouses can help alleviate some of that kind of pain. Also can mean lower shipping times, and being able to ship live goods like chaeto, pods, and coralline from whichever warehouse is closest to the customer.

This is the biggest loss of the merger IMO. MD had West Coast (CA) and East Coast (GA) warehouses. Living in FL shipping times from MD were always more favorable than BRS. Hopefully, they will keep some of the infrastructure.

Silvas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the biggest loss of the merger IMO. MD had West Coast (CA) and East Coast (GA) warehouses. Living in FL shipping times from MD were always more favorable than BRS. Hopefully, they will keep some of the infrastructure.
Didn't realize they also had an east coast operation - in which case, I'd have preferred both were kept alive. The wording about consolidating operations, though, leaves me less than hopeful about that

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I did a big online order I got stuff from Amazon, Brs, Saltwater Aquarium, Premium Aquatics, Chewy, and Big Als. There is still certainly a lot of competition but in terms of retailers who make big contributions to YouTube content BRS and Marine Depot are the biggest.
Many of us have already expressed our distaste for the change in content of BRSs videos and we can only expect this acquisition won't help that case.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sad when PetCo bought out Drs Fosters & Smith, and it seemed their prices went up immediately.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this thread interesting. I haven't been able to buy anything useful from Marine depot in a long time. I always looked out of habit. At one time most everything I bought came from there and then they just seemed to never have anything I was looking for anymore so I moved on.
I got the email so I must still be in their system.
I think I noticed that as well. I used to always shop MD and then BRS the past few years. I noticed a few items I searched for MD didn't have and BRS did.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not surprised they are getting out of CA. It's just too expensive to do business here, lots of companies are relocating.
I'm sad though... it was so convenient having them close, and they have been my go-to since I started in the hobby many many years ago.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit, I rarely find what I want on BRS. Things here and there, but they never seem to carry what I want. It is usally obscure admittedly. I used Aquacave, Premium Aquatics (although not often recently) and just started using Saltwater Aquarium.com. They have done great for me and had things I wanted.

Businesses get bought out all the time. Usually not great for consumer for a while, but does usually get better in a few years. Not always though. Job loss just stinks though.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit, I rarely find what I want on BRS. Things here and there, but they never seem to carry what I want. It is usally obscure admittedly. I used Aquacave, Premium Aquatics (although not often recently) and just started using Saltwater Aquarium.com. They have done great for me and had things I wanted.

Businesses get bought out all the time. Usually not great for consumer for a while, but does usually get better in a few years. Not always though. Job loss just stinks though.
Do you use rox carbon? BrS has me on the hook for their rox ever since that brs investigates video. They test a few different carbons

Fezbearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing about the consolidation that does bother me is them stating that they're consolidating operations at their MN headquarters; I read that as a lot of people at Marine Depot's operations in CA are going to be losing their jobs.
That’s one of my concerns. I have a buddy that works for MD.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is indeed great news and evident as Marine Depot was once my go-to and marine depot suddenly failed me more than once with what was considered emergency needs.
nevertheless, we have a new leader in the industry for our needs and one who who has provided outstanding service-pricing-support.

Last edited:

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is indeed great news and evident as Marine Depot was once my go-to and marine depot suddenly failed me more than once with what was considered emergency needs.
nevertheless, we have a new leader in the industry for our needs and one who who has provided outstanding serice-pricing-support.
download.gif

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use rox carbon? BrS has me on the hook for their rox ever since that brs investigates video. They test a few different carbons
I do use their carbon, but have used the new hydrocarbon and it seems good too. One of the few items I have to get there is carbon. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back