BRS TV?: APEX FMK + Kill A Watt comparing common AC and DC pumps at typical head loss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lumpy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS,

Just like the title says: why not choose a typical head loss (10 feet?) and return size (1"?) and compare the ACTUAL flow and watts between common pumps in similar flow categories?

Or alternatively set a goal flow at a typical head loss: 500 gallons at 10 feet head loss and compare watts required.

There are too many variables for an individual reefer to compare from company-provided flow curves: uncommonly large pipe size used in test; at the pump or at the wall wattage reported; wattage reduction for an AC pump at a particular head not commonly reported....

There are many great specialty pumps for particular applications but in real life if a typical reefer wants 1000 gph at 10 ft head loss does a Sicce ADV 9.0 beat an Abyzz A100 for power draw?

This is not meant to be a "which pump is best" test as individual needs vary, but rather provide some apples-to-apples clarity to the average reefer with typical plumbing and tank size.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS,
Just like the title says: why not choose a typical head loss (10 feet?) and return size (1"?) and compare the ACTUAL flow and watts between common pumps in similar flow categories?
Or alternatively set a goal flow at a typical head loss: 500 gallons at 10 feet head loss and compare watts required.
There are too many variables for an individual reefer to compare from company-provided flow curves: uncommonly large pipe size used in test; at the pump or at the wall wattage reported; wattage reduction for an AC pump at a particular head not commonly reported....
There are many great specialty pumps for particular applications but in real life if a typical reefer wants 1000 gph at 10 ft head loss does a Sicce ADV 9.0 beat an Abyzz A100 for power draw?
This is not meant to be a "which pump is best" test as individual needs vary, but rather provide some apples-to-apples clarity to the average reefer with typical plumbing and tank size.

I really like this test idea (and immediately added it to Ryan's BRStv Investigates board. Really good idea!

Speaking of the plumbing size, here's a smaller initial test we could do prior to a fully in depth one like you mentioned, where we simply test a few different pumps and the flow rates from 1/2", 1" and 2" (since these are the only sensors currently available from Neptune). I wonder if there would be value in the data provided by using 1-1/4" plumbing with a 1" or 2" sensor adapted in?

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this test idea (and immediately added it to Ryan's BRStv Investigates board. Really good idea!

Speaking of the plumbing size, here's a smaller initial test we could do prior to a fully in depth one like you mentioned, where we simply test a few different pumps and the flow rates from 1/2", 1" and 2" (since these are the only sensors currently available from Neptune). I wonder if there would be value in the data provided by using 1-1/4" plumbing with a 1" or 2" sensor adapted in?
I have wondered myself if for my 1" return plumbing, would it be advantageous to adapt up to 2" and back down to 1" around a 2" FMK sensor to avoid the additional head a 1" FMK may add to my system. Trying to answer the question of how restrictive a 1" FMK sensor is compared to the 2" sensor when the rest of the plumbing size is the same. I don't know how common 1-1/4" return plumbing is but my question, I believe, is similar to your last question.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered myself if for my 1" return plumbing, would it be advantageous to adapt up to 2" and back down to 1" around a 2" FMK sensor to avoid the additional head a 1" FMK may add to my system. Trying to answer the question of how restrictive a 1" FMK sensor is compared to the 2" sensor when the rest of the plumbing size is the same. I don't know how common 1-1/4" return plumbing is but my question, I believe, is similar to your last question.

That's an interesting take on it. I'm suggesting a solution to test plumbing sizes in between Neptune's available sensors. (I.e. - difference in flow from 1" to 1-1/4" to 1-1/2") Since there are only the 1" and 2" sensors currently available, I'm uncertain if reducing or increasing those "in between" sizes to add in a sensor would skew the flow rate test results, if at all.

OP
OP
L

Lumpy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would definitely be good to confirm the effect of upsizing/downsizing to the next nearest size of sensor for common plumbing sizes without a perfect sized match sensor. Filling a known reservoir and dividing by time-to-fill as a gold standard? Presumably the next size up sensor should have a fairly neutral effect but it would be nice to confirm before spending the time on a deeper dive into these questions...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back