Brs ultimate new reefer mistake right here

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw they were talking about real reef rock so I flipped it on. My wife looks at me as they say don't let it dry out......you dummy she says....yep it's been sitting on my island while I try to make a scape out of it.

So I'm sure I lost all the good stuff on it by now, so I'm going to just get some buckets of water and get started on the cycle

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile you can fill a spray bottle with SW and spray to keep it good and wet and alive! That is if it’s not too late.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile you can fill a spray bottle with SW and spray to keep it good and wet and alive! That is if it’s not too late.
I like your optimism, but it was pretty dry when I opened it on Wednesday. I think that's how I got mixed up to begin with. It was pretty rainy so I thought the ones that were stuck to the paper was from that.

I have live sand and Dr Tims to start the cycle, I will just have to pay more attention.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20201127-090835.png

Ok this says it's dried out then shipped, so maybe I didn't mess it up lol.

I guess this is different than what brs sells? Anyone have any idea?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find any rock on BRS's website that is actually live with anything. Here is a quote from their website:

The dry rock we stock in our warehouse and does not come with any living material on the surface. With proper curing and a bit of time, dry rock can be covered in coralline algae and bacteria for an extremely natural looking aquascape.

I think you're fine and didn;t actually by live rock

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find any rock on BRS's website that is actually live with anything. Here is a quote from their website:

The dry rock we stock in our warehouse and does not come with any living material on the surface. With proper curing and a bit of time, dry rock can be covered in coralline algae and bacteria for an extremely natural looking aquascape.

I think you're fine and didn;t actually by live rock
I thought I really screwed up when I watched that video lol. I didn't want the real live rock but the purple reef rock and their video looked like the rock I have. I thought it was supposed to help with initial cycling and better looks in the beginning.

I've been obsessing with watching and reading about this so much it doesn't take much to make me question it all.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm feeling much better about this already

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20201127-090835.png

Ok this says it's dried out then shipped, so maybe I didn't mess it up lol.

I guess this is different than what brs sells? Anyone have any idea?

That ad is really messed up.

They tank it in a greenhouse to become established with bacteria then DRY it for shipping? You would think they would at least ship it in wet paper to keep it alive.

I certainly hope that this product isn't more money because of the greenhouse soak time.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same, they don’t make a big deal of it, that the rock comes with bacteria I dint realise so let mine dry out but to be fair, the way it comes I doubt much is live anyway and a lot would have died too so either way a cycle is going to be needed, not to mention trying to get all that stuck paper removed from it!!,

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back