BRS160 two year update: How Zeovit worked for us! | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

snappa1953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my system, the WCs give me the opportunity to get the mulm from the ZeoVit reactor out of the tank. While most of it is consumed by the tank inhabitants (Corals, anemones, detritivores, etc), there is some that doesnt make it out of the sump, some that settles in the corners of the tank, etc.

Also, the WCs take care of some of the trace elements in my tank. I dont use many of the KZ additives - in fact I only use the main 3 - ZeoStart, ZeoBak, and SpongePower. But, for me at least, the WC gets the unsightly mulm out of my system. :D Nutrient management (concerning NO3 and PO4) is different than maintaining Alkalinity and Calcium.
Interesting. You're dosing carbon, bacteria and filter feeder good it seems? Calcium etc being replaced by water changes?

VP616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To expand on "why" water changes with ZEOvit method, this was taken from their guidebook:

"To get a balanced addition of elements contained in the salt mixes, we recommend a weekly water change with the quantity depending on the amount of corals...The reason for this water change is not to export nutrients but to provide a balanced addition of elements necessary for the corals."

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what trace element/s specifically would be within the zeospur bottle?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what trace element/s specifically would be within the zeospur bottle?

I don't know what is in it. Presumably, it is either something that kills a portion of the zooxanthellae or causes the coral to expel a portion. Certainly sounds scary but a lot of reefers do it and it does allow the fluorescent proteins to shine through.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what is in it. Presumably, it is either something that kills a portion of the zooxanthellae or causes the coral to expel a portion. Certainly sounds scary but a lot of reefers do it and it does allow the fluorescent proteins to shine through.
Yeah I was kinda wondering if it was zink that actually did it.

Not knowing what was I the bottles is what's always kept me scared from zeo

Last edited:

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Alk stayed pretty solid around the 8.5dKH mark the whole time! :)

-Randy
That would typically seem high when doing any sort of carbon dosing correct? I've read the ideal Alk level would be between 7.0 to 8.0. I guess you guys had no problems. Interesting!

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you guys try using your ROX carbon instead of the recommended KZ carbon on the BRS 160 to see if there were any noteable differences?

josh.j.avila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The common belief in the Zeo community is copper. A couple people who I know who have overdosed copper got similar effects.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would typically seem high when doing any sort of carbon dosing correct? I've read the ideal Alk level would be between 7.0 to 8.0. I guess you guys had no problems. Interesting!

Yep, no issues at all! I've heard the same and even for the Triton Method the recommendation is around 7.0dKH, however I think stability is the real key here. There's still a lot of analysis of calcification rates at various Alkalinity levels to be done. I hope someone in the hobby finds a way to test it ! :)

Did you guys try using your ROX carbon instead of the recommended KZ carbon on the BRS 160 to see if there were any noteable differences?

Not during the life of Zeovit on the BRS160. We followed the system as a whole and opted not to use our carbon. :)

-Randy

Weaselander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on running without a skimmer on a system with a smaller bio/feeding load? Thinking about setting up a 75 gallon with just a large refugium and H380. Probably more of an Softie/LPS tank with just a couple of fish.

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on running without a skimmer on a system with a smaller bio/feeding load? Thinking about setting up a 75 gallon with just a large refugium and H380. Probably more of an Softie/LPS tank with just a couple of fish.
I did a ton of research on this personally and the general consensus is that dosing a carbon source as you do with Zeovit without a method to export the resulting bacteria is a bad idea. I added a skimmer to my nano specifically so I could start dosing. The skimmer also helps replenish the oxygen that the bacteria feed on.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, no issues at all! I've heard the same and even for the Triton Method the recommendation is around 7.0dKH, however I think stability is the real key here. There's still a lot of analysis of calcification rates at various Alkalinity levels to be done. I hope someone in the hobby finds a way to test it ! :)

Not during the life of Zeovit on the BRS160. We followed the system as a whole and opted not to use our carbon. :)

-Randy
Thanks for the replies. Probably going to give it a go. Hope I can achieve some success.

Morteza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind I am addicted to these little blue bottles and once we get off them I am probably going to have to go to meetings to stay off them .... I just find the process of reading, selecting, dosing and watching to be enjoyable.

We use the following. To the best of my memory from home.
  • The big four
  • LPS aminos on a dosing pump.
  • coral vitalizer
  • Phol's Xtra
  • Potassium iodide fluoride
  • B- Balence
  • Amino Acid Concentrate
  • Coral Booster
  • Flatworm stop - Dosed after we got the monti eating nudis in hopes it would make the tissue less appealing. Nudis are not an issue any longer but we never stopped.
There have been some questions about cost. I haven't tracked that, partially because I don't want to know... I would say there is no world where zeovit is the lowest cost method of achieving results and that's pretty much end of story there. I think the best analogy I can think of is most of us own a car to get to work and back. However, some people own a car so after work they can spend time tricking it out so they can get to work faster tomorrow : )

Hi Rayan

Why you changed Zeovit method to other method ?

Do you have problems in 160 BRS with Zeovit method ?

Thank you for all your jobs at RBS channel

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back