BRStv Investigates the NEW Kessil AP9X!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AP9X uses the same app as the Kessil WiFi dongle. Totally different than the AP700. You can also connect a spectral controller X to the light if you prefer wired control.

That‘s excellent news! Do you know if it ramps up and down in intensity smoothly?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a unit waiting for a new build so I haven’t run it for long just connected to see how it worked. Since it uses the 360x app I assume it is the same as the 360x which is very smooth.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS I was wondering if I daisy-chained the AP9X to four Kessil A360WE's can I control all the lights with the integrated WiFi interface? If not, would I have to use the Spectral Controller X?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS I was wondering if I daisy-chained the AP9X to four Kessil A360WE's can I control all the lights with the integrated WiFi interface? If not, would I have to use the Spectral Controller X?

The AP9X can act as the controller for any A360X lights that are daisy chained to it, so no need for the Wifi Dongle or Spectral Controller X in that case.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AP9X can act as the controller for any A360X lights that are daisy chained to it, so no need for the Wifi Dongle or Spectral Controller X in that case.

Perfect, that's one of the primary reasons I wanted the AP9X. I just ordered one while the Black Friday sales are on. Since I'm in Canada I have no way to rent your PAR meter to test PAR. Basically, I have to rely on your tests and knowledge regarding PAR. So, I have one more question if you don't mind.

Do you think one AP9X and four A360WE's mounted to a 61" Aquatic Life T5HO hybrid fixture 10" above the water is enough light for an Innovative Marine 200g INT SPS tank?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, that's one of the primary reasons I wanted the AP9X. I just ordered one while the Black Friday sales are on. Since I'm in Canada I have no way to rent your PAR meter to test PAR. Basically, I have to rely on your tests and knowledge regarding PAR. So, I have one more question if you don't mind.

Do you think one AP9X and four A360WE's mounted to a 61" Aquatic Life T5HO hybrid fixture 10" above the water is enough light for an Innovative Marine 200g INT SPS tank?

I don't think you'll have any lighting related issues if you go that route. We typically recommend one A360X fixture per 1 foot of tank for an SPS dominant system, so you're hitting that number right on the nose if you consider the AP9X to essentially be two A360X fixtures.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll have any lighting related issues if you go that route. We typically recommend one A360X fixture per 1 foot of tank for an SPS dominant system, so you're hitting that number right on the nose if you consider the AP9X to essentially be two A360X fixtures.
Hmm, after watching the video linked below I'm thinking 6 Kessil's mounted to an aquatic life hybrid would be too much light. You guys seemed to hit the SPS sweet spot with 1 Kessil + an Aquaticlife hybrid for a 24" tank and 2 Kessil + an Aquaticlife hybrid for a 24".

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS mentioned you can control the 360x with the ap9x, mr fishy is talking about the previous generation the 360we

Kola99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend two A360X units, or one AP9X (for a tank 3 feet long and 20 inches deep/wide)? And is the AP9X just two 360’s built together, or is it something better?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend two A360X units, or one AP9X (for a tank 3 feet long and 20 inches deep/wide)? And is the AP9X just two 360’s built together, or is it something better?
I have two 360x's over my 3ft tank and I have PLENTY of light. Either fixture would work just fine,

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering this light for my WB frag 55.2, its 24x24x16. I want a full SPS tank and I not sure if I should go with this or hydra 64 or radion G5 pro. Can you guys help me make this decision?

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply
Firstly, thanks for everything you do. You guys are a fantastic resource.

I have an AP9X and have been slowly ramping it up over the past several months with the goal of achieving about 100 PAR on the sandbed and 300-400 for my tallest rock structures.

My question is, while your AP9X video makes it really easy to nail the PAR plus/minus using simple math, I'm not as sure of the effect from the ancillary channels, i.e. violet, red and green. Do you have a sense of how much altering the spectrum by raising the intensity of those channels affects overall PAR? Or how much spectrum influences growth? I ask because when I increased overall intensity I had no issues, but while increasing violet from around 25% to 50% my alve and goni did not appreciate it. Obviously in the future if I do raise the intensity of those channels I'll do it much slower...but I'm curious as to how those channels actually penetrate coral, or are they just there for aesthetic purposes.

Thanks again!

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply

@randyBRS @Bulk Reef Supply

I have an AP9X and have been slowly ramping it up over the past several months with the goal of achieving about 100 PAR on the sandbed and 300-400 for my tallest rock structures.

My question is, while your AP9X video makes it really easy to nail the PAR plus/minus using simple math, I'm not as sure of the effect from the ancillary channels, i.e. violet, red and green. Do you have a sense of how much altering the spectrum by raising the intensity of those channels affects overall PAR? Or how much spectrum influences growth? I ask because when I increased overall intensity I had no issues, but while increasing violet from around 25% to 50% my alve and goni did not appreciate it. Obviously in the future if I do raise the intensity of those channels I'll do it much slower...but I'm curious as to how those channels actually penetrate coral, or are they just there for aesthetic purposes.

Thanks again!

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any rumblings of when the AP9X units may get Apex compatibility?
I watched the Neptune streaming last night and Terrance mentioned they waiting for Kessil for final details and after that the plan is to roll to the NSI team to test it so seems like at some point we will have this option

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply

Thanks again!
I can't say that we tested that too extensively. When we test a new LED light, we start out by finding the spectrum that we're going to recommend. From there, we do all of the testing based on that spectrum, which includes all of those par numbers. For that reason, we don't have a ton of data logged for how changing each individual color channel impacts the overall test results. Good news is that par meters are more accessible than every with rentals and less expensive options like the Seneye, so if you want to run a different spectrum, you can test out any combination that you'd ever want :)

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say that we tested that too extensively. When we test a new LED light, we start out by finding the spectrum that we're going to recommend. From there, we do all of the testing based on that spectrum, which includes all of those par numbers. For that reason, we don't have a ton of data logged for how changing each individual color channel impacts the overall test results. Good news is that par meters are more accessible than every with rentals and less expensive options like the Seneye, so if you want to run a different spectrum, you can test out any combination that you'd ever want :)
You read my mind. Ive got the owner of our lfs coming over with his apogee so I can try out a few variants. Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back