BRStv Investigates the NEW Kessil AP9X!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, first post!

@BRS, my question is along the same lines as Scorpius' except I've already ordered the AP9X from you guys (I think I probably made the first purchase). I thought it would work for my 120 gal mixed reef build based on Kessils' claim that one unit would be adequate for a 48x24x24 mixed reef. Needless to say I now have some buyers remorse after watching your rundown on the AP9X. A second unit is out of my budget. Would I have been better off going with a pair of 360x's? Thanks in advance!

Scott
How is the single AP9x unit working on your 48x24x24 mixed reef? I have a similar build ongoing and was thinking about a single AP9X as well.
Thanks

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on my 120 and couldn't be happier. It maxes at 70% on a mixed reef, so plenty of par to spare.

Attachments

• 20210209_152942_HDR.jpg
    20210209_152942_HDR.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 194

Tac302000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I returned it and went with two 360x's. The single AP9x wasn't going to provide enough light for a mixed reef. I think you'd be fine with a single AP9X on our size tanks if you were doing softy's and other less light demanding corals. I'm very happy with the 360x's by the way. Good luck!

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will 2 AP9X sync together without a cord running between them? Say using the app, will it turn e both lights simultaneously

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will 2 AP9X sync together without a cord running between them? Say using the app, will it turn e both lights simultaneously
I have 2 lights and this will work but I run the cord anyway. The fewer WiFi devices the better and the cord is only $20

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution is the floating canopy but the mounting arm will hide the cord. I really don't think it is a big deal.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Since the AP9X has built-in wifi, you don't necessarily need to link them together using the cord. The advantage of using the cord is that you only have one device attached to your wifi instead of two. This may or may not be a concern for you depending on your home's network and number of devices currently attached to it.

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great questions, I'm happy to clear this up a bit! :)

First let's talk about the SPS test, in which case during the mounting height test you get an idea of what 100% intensity looks like from the heat maps where there are points of 400-700 PAR near the top of the tank.

Because our goal for SPS dominated tanks is to hit 200-350 PAR throughout 70% or more of the 108 data testing points (6", 12" and 18"inches deep in the tank) we start to play that game of lowering the intensity to a point where the top 6"inches of the tank doesn't get blown out above 350 while at the same time providing enough output so that 12"inches and 18"inches deep in the tank stays higher than 200 PAR. Hence the whack-a-mole game of robbing PAR from the top to serve the bottom or robbing PAR from the bottom to serve the top.

As to the A360X's performance in the same 60gal cube...first the AP9X is not a direct one-for-one version of just two A360Xs in the same body. The size of the Dense Matrix LED clusters are different as well as their placement inside the lens AND the AP9X has included reflectors that completely change the dynamics of the light output (which is why you see two "humps" in the PAR data at the top.

Because of that comparing the A360X to the AP9X is pretty much apples and oranges. However the A360X loses quite a bit of light and PAR output when you go beyond that 8"inch mounting height we found as "optimal"...optimal meaning we stop raising the light when more than 15% is spilling out of the tank. For the AP9X that was at 10"inches yet for the wide angle A360X that was only 8"inches.

As I mentioned near the end of the video, the A360X is a super wide angle flood light; the T365 is a super narrow angle spotlight and the AP9X is somewhere in between and because of that we just need to use the data to make the best decision for what works best for what we are trying to accomplish in our tanks.

Hopefully that helps clarify some differences, but don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. I know these lights pretty intimately at this point! LOL. :)
So great video on the Apx9 btw very helpful. My question here since i haven't been in the hobby for 20 years and im just getting back in (used to run halides and VHO). Im running the apx over a 60 gallon (36x24x16), height currently at 12" but now plan to lower to 10". Anyway I plan to do mostly soft corals and maybe a clam.

Now in your test you say that the 20/55, violet:55, red:11 is that 65% mark. I assume that would be a setting for your peak correct? Also you give the 20/20, violet: 20, red:4 are you saying that would be a default start setting? Im trying to get a program built and im a bit disappointed the Kessil light doesnt come with any guidance or templates to choose from. Any help here is welcome.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So great video on the Apx9 btw very helpful. My question here since i haven't been in the hobby for 20 years and im just getting back in (used to run halides and VHO). Im running the apx over a 60 gallon (36x24x16), height currently at 12" but now plan to lower to 10". Anyway I plan to do mostly soft corals and maybe a clam.

Now in your test you say that the 20/55, violet:55, red:11 is that 65% mark. I assume that would be a setting for your peak correct? Also you give the 20/20, violet: 20, red:4 are you saying that would be a default start setting? Im trying to get a program built and im a bit disappointed the Kessil light doesnt come with any guidance or templates to choose from. Any help here is welcome.

There should be a template to use in the app if you decide that you don't want to do any custom programming. That said, the CLR (color) and INT (intensity) settings are the two major ones to get right. The different settings from the video are based on certain tank sizes and coral types. Until you add your clam, I would suggest using Randy's LPS tank suggestions as they'll also work for softies.

We didn't test on a 36" long tank, but if I had to make an educated guess on settings based on the data we collected, I'd suggest starting with something like this.

CLR: 20
INT: 35
VI: 35
R: 7
G: 0

Of course, you can use a par meter to really help dial in the intensity setting. For what it's worth, the color setting can be adjusted if you prefer a more "white" looking tank. This doesn't have a large impact on the spectrum that matters to corals.

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a template to use in the app if you decide that you don't want to do any custom programming. That said, the CLR (color) and INT (intensity) settings are the two major ones to get right. The different settings from the video are based on certain tank sizes and coral types. Until you add your clam, I would suggest using Randy's LPS tank suggestions as they'll also work for softies.

We didn't test on a 36" long tank, but if I had to make an educated guess on settings based on the data we collected, I'd suggest starting with something like this.

CLR: 20
INT: 35
VI: 35
R: 7
G: 0

Of course, you can use a par meter to really help dial in the intensity setting. For what it's worth, the color setting can be adjusted if you prefer a more "white" looking tank. This doesn't have a large impact on the spectrum that matters to corals.

Ok, i find the violet and red parts confusing. If i use Randy's suggestion and started at a clr:20, int:20, violet:20, red: 4 should my max intensity for peek part of the day mirror this with clr:50, int:50, violet:55, red: 11 (not sure how he derived the red, seems like its always 20% of the intensity)?

As far as templates the only other prog in the kessil program i saw was Holts or something. Attached is what ive been running. Soinds like if i knew how to adust violet and red i shoild be good for softs right. And yes i do want a clam lol

20211202_134733.jpg

Last edited:

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i find the violet and red parts confusing. If i use Randy's suggestion and started at a clr:20, int:20, violet:20, red: 4 should my max intensity for peek part of the day mirror this with clr:50, int:50, violet:55, red: 11 (not sure how he derived the red, seems like its always 20% of the intensity)?

As far as templates the only other prog in the kessil program i saw was Holts or something. Attached is what ive been running. Soinds like if i knew how to adust violet and red i shoild be good for softs right. And yes i do want a clam lol

20211202_134733.jpg
Bueller bueller anyone?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bueller bueller anyone?
I think you are overthinking this. Kessil light programming is meant to be really simple. I run AP 9Xs myself and it really should not be super difficult. Are you experiencing any problems? If not I would keep things as they are. If you are having problems then what are they as some can indicate too much light and some too little. If you are really concerned then I would get a PAR meter.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bueller bueller anyone?

We suggest a 30 minute ramp up, 9 hours of steady intensity, then 30 minutes of ramp down. So your schedule would look something like this. Obviously, feel free to tweak the exact times to match when you're around to enjoy the tank.

Like @Montiman mentioned, Kessil makes programing pretty hard to screw up. The only thing that I'd be careful with is the intensity slider.

1639423590303.png

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We suggest a 30 minute ramp up, 9 hours of steady intensity, then 30 minutes of ramp down. So your schedule would look something like this. Obviously, feel free to tweak the exact times to match when you're around to enjoy the tank.

Like @Montiman mentioned, Kessil makes programing pretty hard to screw up. The only thing that I'd be careful with is the intensity slider.

1639423590303.png
Thank you!! Ok, this is helpful. My concerns were the ramp up time as well as intensity and duration as well as the violet red mix. So basically im spending too much time on the ramp up and I dont have any red or violet added in.

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are overthinking this. Kessil light programming is meant to be really simple. I run AP 9Xs myself and it really should not be super difficult. Are you experiencing any problems? If not I would keep things as they are. If you are having problems then what are they as some can indicate too much light and some too little. If you are really concerned then I would get a PAR meter.
Thank you! Might be over thinking a little. No issues with the programming. My concerns were duration/ramp up as well as the ratio of violet and red. I was worried about having my intensity too high but its not much higher than BRS recommended in the next post. I appreciate the response.

jmorignot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75G mixed reef tank - 48x18 (21 deep - 2 inches of Fiji white sand (it reflects a lot)) - Do you think an AP9X is going to be enough, or do I really need 2? Thanks! I saw the recommended height in the BRS Investigate video was 10", but I suppose with only one, I would have to fall back to the Kessil recommended of 15"?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75G mixed reef tank - 48x18 (21 deep - 2 inches of Fiji white sand (it reflects a lot)) - Do you think an AP9X is going to be enough, or do I really need 2? Thanks! I saw the recommended height in the BRS Investigate video was 10", but I suppose with only one, I would have to fall back to the Kessil recommended of 15"?
If it's a standard 75, the challenge is the center brace. It'll cast a shadow in your tank, even with the light having two pucks. Two AP9X over that tank for a mixed reef will be overkill, but using two will make the tank look better due to the lack of the fore mentioned shadow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back