BRStv "Live" Reviews the Red Sea Reefer Skimmers! | BRStv Reefing Gear Review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're trying something new for reviewing the gear we all use!

For our first crack at a different approach to your standard review, we're putting our hands on the Red Sea Reefer Skimmers and showing you what we like most about them.

**We're working on a name to call these reviews, but if you like this style and want to see more please let us know below! :)

Ezduzt_nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really liked this format. Nothing against scripted, just another way to find out about stuff. The addition of your thoughts throughout give great added insight. And as a beginner I get to learn about in this case skimmers, not just the one you're using. And, I really appreciate being able to see it working in a real world situation.

How about, Real Gear Reviews?

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciated the review and opinions. I think rather than scripted vs not, this is more of a semi-scripted product review, since you obviously still put quite a bit planning into what aspects would be covered, order of discussion, etc, and there were useful cut-scenes.

For me personally, what I like about this format is that you give your opinions more than just the specs (which we can more easily find anyway), and the back-and-forth chatting was nice for drawing out opinions, reminded me of the early days of the BRS product reviews. What I don’t like as much is that it was less time-efficient than it could have been, with some repetition, due to the open nature of the discussion. 30 min to talk about a skimmer neither of you has actually used before is kind of a lot.

A hybrid approach of having done your homework ahead of time, planning of what will be covered, maybe some testing results when applicable, combined with real opinions and back-and-forth discussion, would be optimal.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciated the review and opinions. I think rather than scripted vs not, this is more of a semi-scripted product review, since you obviously still put quite a bit planning into what aspects would be covered, order of discussion, etc, and there were useful cut-scenes.

For me personally, what I like about this format is that you give your opinions more than just the specs (which we can more easily find anyway), and the back-and-forth chatting was nice for drawing out opinions, reminded me of the early days of the BRS product reviews. What I don’t like as much is that it was less time-efficient than it could have been, with some repetition, due to the open nature of the discussion. 30 min to talk about a skimmer neither of you has actually used before is kind of a lot.

A hybrid approach of having done your homework ahead of time, planning of what will be covered, maybe some testing results when applicable, combined with real opinions and back-and-forth discussion, would be optimal.

Thanks for the feedback! I totally agree...30mins about a skimmer is a bit much. We're honing this format to make it flow a lot smoother and quicker. :)

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought one from a LFS based on your review!

Love the quality of the unit but it is far far noisier than the NYOS 120 it replaced. I do love the manual head cleaner though and the smart way they did the waste line. I hope it quiets down over a week or two, most of the noise seems to be coming from the air intake. I wonder if we put a sponge or something in the silencer that might help deaden the noise.

Reefer_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought one from a LFS based on your review!

Love the quality of the unit but it is far far noisier than the NYOS 120 it replaced. I do love the manual head cleaner though and the smart way they did the waste line. I hope it quiets down over a week or two, most of the noise seems to be coming from the air intake. I wonder if we put a sponge or something in the silencer that might help deaden the noise.

Start on post 241
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/m...kimmer-lights-action-pic-heavy.446760/page-13

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean at this point, shouldn't everyone have a 3D printer in their house?!? Want to solve a problem...print your own solution! Amazing.

So I actually bought it from the guy who made it, I'll let you guys know how loud it is...

One thing though, I love the manual neck cleaner that RedSea did, I believe Deltec also has it on their new skimmers, wish others did it too. I love how quiet and extremely effective the NYOS skimmer is and it does still feel more premium than the RS skimmer.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-View of the LIVE -VIEW : :) It has a entertainment value along with Promo value. If you really want a Live-View send a skimmer to one lucky winner (you-tuber) and you both stream thoughts threw the setup and operation :eek:
No good? ok grab a reefer off the street or from the lobby :cool: Like the guy doing the sidewalk pizza reviews.

thoughts on the skimmer? an 8, priced right, the adjustment stem base could be stronger and the venturi rubber sleeve/o-ring should be one piece.
keep up the good work.

wondering, why is it called a re-view if we are seeing it for the first time :confused: jk

upload_2019-5-21_16-42-5.jpeg

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean at this point, shouldn't everyone have a 3D printer in their house?!? Want to solve a problem...print your own solution! Amazing.

Heck yeah, brother! I am so pumped up, a few reefers have reached out to me, I have mailed a few 3d printed air chambers already. I have tested them using a db app, awesome reduction in noise. Feels great helping out fellow reefers.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I actually bought it from the guy who made it, I'll let you guys know how loud it is...

One thing though, I love the manual neck cleaner that RedSea did, I believe Deltec also has it on their new skimmers, wish others did it too. I love how quiet and extremely effective the NYOS skimmer is and it does still feel more premium than the RS skimmer.

The neck cleaner is nice, indeed. So is the line to empty skim from the chamber, I like it a lot. I had Nyos 120, definitely like RSK300 more, it also has a larger volume. I have also noticed that foam level in RSK is more stable than Nyos. Nyos was extremely finicky. I like the RSK and wouldn’t go back to Nyos.

You should receive the air chamber by COB Thursday. Let me know how it compares to your stock one.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back