Brutal introduction of a second angel

mbuch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share quite a harrowing experience. I have a 55 gallon Fowlr with about 100 pounds of live rock, up and running for 8 months. The tank boss is a three inch coral beauty. 9 fish all get along great.
Today I finally found a 2 inch flame angel that I fell in love with. I had been reading up on introducing a second dwarf angel into the tank and the reports seemed to be split, that it could possibly work, but unlikely, notwithstanding plenty of hiding spots for the new juvenile flame.
In short, it was a disaster. The very first second that I placed the flame into the tank, the peaceful and gentle coral beauty went BALLISTIC. It was chasing and nipping mercilessly. I let it go for about 3 minutes hoping it would let up, but the violence and relentlessness was brutal.
So I pulled the gorgeous flame angel to bring it back to the lfs tomorrow. It looks fine. But I’m still rattled!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share quite a harrowing experience. I have a 55 gallon Fowlr with about 100 pounds of live rock, up and running for 8 months. The tank boss is a three inch coral beauty. 9 fish all get along great.
Today I finally found a 2 inch flame angel that I fell in love with. I had been reading up on introducing a second dwarf angel into the tank and the reports seemed to be split, that it could possibly work, but unlikely, notwithstanding plenty of hiding spots for the new juvenile flame.
In short, it was a disaster. The very first second that I placed the flame into the tank, the peaceful and gentle coral beauty went BALLISTIC. It was chasing and nipping mercilessly. I let it go for about 3 minutes hoping it would let up, but the violence and relentlessness was brutal.
So I pulled the gorgeous flame angel to bring it back to the lfs tomorrow. It looks fine. But I’m still rattled!
OMG, I am so sorry to read this! I totally understand how traumatic that can be to watch. I had it happen with a couple freshwater fish. I'm glad to hear the flame is doing well. Hopefully that traumatic experience hasn't changed his personality (either extremely scared or becomes a bully).

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a 55 might not be big enough for two dwarfs. Plus an 8-month gap means the Coral Beauty would have been well-established. It’s a 4’ tank but the 18” width really doesn’t give much depth for rock work. Personally I’d want a minimum of a 90.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A standard 55 isnt even 18" wide, it's only 12".

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see that with large angels. It goes on for 30 days too.
But then it just stops.
2021061808364127--2186764812117283193-IMG_3717-M.jpg

The large ones ignore the little ones. The little ones got along almost instantly.
2021061808362206-5956988335789056504-IMG_3718-M.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge many large angels (not Genicanthus) form pairs not harems but small angels and Genicanthus (considered taxonomically more similar to Centropyge and Paracentropyge than Holacanthus, Pomacanthus, maybe Apolemichthys etc.) form harems.

Either way a 12” wide 55 is too small.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a 55 might not be big enough for two dwarfs. Plus an 8-month gap means the Coral Beauty would have been well-established. It’s a 4’ tank but the 18” width really doesn’t give much depth for rock work. Personally I’d want a minimum of a 90.
I’ve had the dwarfs in a 40 but I think it just depends. I had to take the flameback out and introduce my multicolor then after two months I reintroduced the flameback angel. In my other 60 Gallo. My flameback and multicolor are so peaceful but yes three years might be too long of a time gap. @mbuch21 The coral beauty is probably the ruler and knows every little inch of that tank by now.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in and next day they are following each other around.
I’m going to try that with my flamebacks but one of the ones I have is so aggressive so I’ll buy like two more. Your bicolors are so beautiful. No nipping at corals? Sorry is it a

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me but opposite fish. Put in a coral beauty and my flame angel chased, harrassed, beat it up so badly in half an hour...its fins were messed up and developed pop eye. I had to take it out and left it in the sump for a month so it can heal. And this was in a 300g! Finally added it later and thankfully the flame didnt go nutts and today they co-exist but still a small chase here and there but nothing crazy aggressive like before.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral beauty kill my flame and Harass another smaller coral beauty and ebili angel for 72 hours, Now the coral beauty swims with the smaller coral beauty and ebili together . this was in a 125 gallon tank with lots of rock. All angels introduced at same time. I won t do it again I tried saving the Flame but it was TOO LATE!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back