Brute Mixing Can Smells Like Cat Urine — Why

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, my rodi unit on the Input is around 6 but it varies and the output is almost always 3. I replaced the di canisters first and made 200 gallons of water before replacing the 3 stage. Consequently the di is maybe 15% used but it turned orangish. Concern?

16264483537432561215655746688462.jpg

Output of 3 ppm TDS can have lots of ammonia in it.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a cat? Mine keeps peeing in mine... constantly. Its very frustrating I am not sure what to do with her, moving my whole RO set up this weekend..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a cat? Mine keeps peeing in mine... constantly. Its very frustrating I am not sure what to do with her, moving my whole RO set up this weekend..

Maybe its time for a lid. lol

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its time for a lid. lol
This thing is relentless, it is able to move the lid over a bit and urinate right into it - think twice before getting an F1 bengal lol! Between the lid being moved and the smell, I know shes the culprit.
She's also peeing in the dogs water bowl lol, better than the tanks!

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire fish room smelled like urine and I was convinced there was a mouse or rodent peeing in my cabinets. Lol and behold, I just found a Solo cup of decaying reef roids/fish food on the shelf
that I forgot to throw away about 4 weeks ago. Problem solved...but what a stench!!

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your city water have chloramines? I use two carbon blocks labeled for chloramine after the prefilter. I was getting ammonia in RODI a few years ago, changing to those blocks helped, at least I didnt have ammonia showing up anymore.
I use the same blocks. My city made the switch 4 years ago. Still getting the urine smell. Plus I don't put salt in this bucket. I don't get it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same blocks. My city made the switch 4 years ago. Still getting the urine smell. Plus I don't put salt in this bucket. I don't get it

Carbon blocks create the smell by breaking down chloramine into ammonia and chloride. The di is what removes it.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same situation as the OP, two Brute cans that have a faint odor. I'm not sure I would say cat urine but I get what he means. I would call it "musty".

The cans were cleaned thoroughly when I purchased them.
I use a new RODI system, two RO units and 4 canisters; have already changed the DI filter (with an improved brand).
I have well water and my TDS is always zero.

I'm still waiting to install the tank but have been using this arrangement since May to prep my rocks and sand. It hasn't presented a problem but the thread caught my eye since I have the same issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I have two blocks brs said attacks specially chloramines. Also the tds meter is 0. I check it every use. Could it slip by even with the meter reading 0?

Carbon blocks break down chloramine to ammonia and leaves the ammonia in the water. Yes, 0.5 ppm ammonia might read as 0 with rounding, and may smell, especially if the pH is on the high side.

I had some batches of limewater (kalkwasser) stink of ammonia becuase I did not notice when the DI first depleted.

I also agree that new water can get mildew smalls in it. I'd ignore those, but cleaning the barrels between batches may help. I used many Brute cans and never noticed an odor (aside from a typical new plastic smell when new).

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon blocks break down chloramine to ammonia and leaves the ammonia in the water. Yes, 0.5 ppm ammonia might read as 0 with rounding, and may smell, especially if the pH is on the high side.

I had some batches of limewater (kalkwasser) stink of ammonia becuase I did not notice when the DI first depleted.
So should I add dechlorinator to my rodi water? Replace my DI resin? So many questions now lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I add dechlorinator to my rodi water? Replace my DI resin? So many questions now lol

Typical dechlorinator won't impact ammonia. You could always measure ammonia with a kit if you were concerned. It doesn't hurt to use that water for top off in the meantime. Corals may like a tiny bit of ammonia.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical dechlorinator won't impact ammonia. You could always measure ammonia with a kit if you were concerned. It doesn't hurt to use that water for top off in the meantime. Corals may like a tiny bit of ammonia.
Interesting. So I'll check my DI. It's fairly new but I'll check anyways. Also I'll try to measure ammonia levels.

Maybe dechlorinator wasn't the right word. I have seachem prime. It's supposed to Target ammonia

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So I'll check my DI. It's fairly new but I'll check anyways. Also I'll try to measure ammonia levels.

Maybe dechlorinator wasn't the right word. I have seachem prime. It's supposed to Target ammonia

A good time to remind folks to not always (ever???) accept hobby vendor claims without verification. Many are misleading or simply wrong. Maybe reefers should follow Ronald Reagan's old advice: trust but verify.

You're statement reflects the Seachem claim. Seachem has a historically mixed and rapidly falling record on understanding chemistry of their own products (IMO). Seachem Aquavitro Balance is a perfect case in point where they either are ignorant of their own product attributes (it obviously is an alk supplement despite the claims that it is not), or simply don't care to be accurate.

Careful testing by folks on this forum suggest that the Prime claim may not be accurate, and Seachem has never provided evidence of effect, or any plausible mechanism, despite being challenged by chemists for many years as to whether and how it works.

This has more:

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good time to remind folks to not always (ever???) accept hobby vendor claims without verification. Many are misleading or simply wrong. Maybe reefers should follow Ronald Reagan's old advice: trust but verify.

You're statement reflects the Seachem claim. Seachem has a historically mixed and rapidly falling record on understanding chemistry of their own products (IMO). Seachem Aquavitro Balance is a perfect case in point where they either are ignorant of their own product attributes (it obviously is an alk supplement despite the claims that it is not), or simply don't care to be accurate.

Careful testing by folks on this forum suggest that the Prime claim may not be accurate, and Seachem has never provided evidence of effect, or any plausible mechanism, despite being challenged by chemists for many years as to whether and how it works.

This has more:

Oh dang. OK. Is there such a thing as an ammonia remover/blocker?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back