Brute Trash Can Cord Seal

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does stored salt water actually need a heater and flow? Never stored so I’m curious vs just warming it up and then using a powerhead before usage
Nope,
I mix for 12~24 hours cold for my awc.
It sits after until used. Never heated.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a plausible option for those just needing flow. Perhaps a monster magnetic stirrer that can be placed underneath. Obviously the container would need to be on something to allow placement underneath unless perhaps strapped to the side. Although to me latter more complicated than a simple hole up top yet would be neater since some like the aesthetics of how things are kept.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope,
I mix for 12~24 hours cold for my awc.
It sits after until used. Never heated.
You must live in a place that never has a winter.

In Georgia, when it's winter time, water comes out of the pipes at around 45 to 50 degrees. Without a heater, it would never make it to 70 degrees, let alone 78. You'd never be able to get it mixed properly.

Even in summer, the water is around 65 degrees out of the pipes and would need to sit for days until it reached 75 or so for mixing.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In Georgia, when it's winter time, water comes out of the pipes at around 45 to 50 degrees. Without a heater, it would never make it to 70 degrees, let alone 78. You'd never be able to get it mixed properly.

Even in summer, the water is around 65 degrees out of the pipes and would need to sit for days until it reached 75 or so for mixing.
AWC is so little water at a time, as very small amounts throughout the day, even 33 degree water would be fine to use on most tanks. I was pumping in 40 degree water all winter with my AWC and heaters ran no more than normal.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC is so little water at a time
Then that situation has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. The entire conversation is about storing larger quantities of water in a large (Brute garbage can, which the smallest made is 15 gallons and most people use a 32 gallon) over a longer period of time, not a gallon or two in a very small top off system.

People reading your post may be completely mislead by your statement.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a plausible option for those just needing flow. Perhaps a monster magnetic stirrer that can be placed underneath.
I'm not sure why this has become some major deal.

I still use a very, very old Penguin 550 power head dropped in the bottom of my 32 gallon Brute can along with a 100 watt heater and it's always worked just fine.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL, I wish.
Though, here in Connecticut, we had an extremely mild winter this year.

The sump is in my basement, never reaching 70 degrees. At 1% daily water change, the system never misses a beat.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then that situation has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. The entire conversation is about storing larger quantities of water in a large (Brute garbage can, which the smallest made is 15 gallons and most people use a 32 gallon) over a longer period of time, not a gallon or two in a very small top off system.

Oh, I thought it was about cords in a brute can and heating.
Sorry, disregard.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why this has become some major deal.

I still use a very, very old Penguin 550 power head dropped in the bottom of my 32 gallon Brute can along with a 100 watt heater and it's always worked just fine.
No one saying it’s a big deal. Author seeking options in cord management and I’m just questioning why even bother having cords to begin with. Some have skipped that and been successful.

More than one way to reef. Fact is. More than one way to do just about anything. Best each pick what best suits their lifestyle. Forcing one method on all what’s most difficult.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought it was about cords in a brute can and heating.
Which it is. Again, the smallest Brute can made is 15 gallons. Most people use a 32 gallon. It's NOT a small, two or three gallon top-off situation that you're saying to not bother ever putting a heater in.

Author seeking options in cord management and I’m just questioning why even bother having cords to begin with.
You recommended a magnetic stirrer. You're suggesting that a guy using a $32 Brute garbage can (assuming he's using a 32 gallon like I do) buy a system that will cost him $1,288 to save having a gap about 1/16th of an inch wide that might costs him .45 cents of water evaporation?

Seriously?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic stirrer just a suggestion. Some using it to stir kalk. Size of container is irrelevant. Not sure why we should be arguing about this. Should be ok for others to make suggestions you don’t agree with vs questioning it as if it was stupid. Recall not long ago it was stupid to have nitrates. How that work out? Now people are dosing ammonium. Seriously.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnetic stirrer just a suggestion.
But it's a completely, totally, in every way, shape and form unrealistic suggestion. He's using a big garbage can, not a laboratory beaker.

You're saying that this - which is what it would take at just over $3,000.00:

Is a pliable option for a guy stirring water in a garbage can to save the gap on one electrical cord? And it still doesn't solve the heater cord does it?

That's like suggesting a guy go out and buy a new Ferrari so he can get better performance out of his old Ford Fiesta.

Just be realistic. Sheesh.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My statement was regarding someone else and their AWC, not related to me. My AWC system is 500g container and takes 2 months before I make more. It only gets circulation, as a very large amount of water.It is also for a different tank.

I just did a 30g WC last night with water that has been sitting for over a month with no circulation until about 30 minutes before the water change. No issues what so ever and water tested as it should (I test sg, alk, and CA before doing a WC in tank and brute). During the time it was sitting, I had no cords in the brute either. Notch still there for when I cut it out previously.

With that said, I see no issue in storing water for a month or 2 in a brute once it is mixed up, then just mix and heat again when ready for it. I say mix on the second go, but it is more like circulate to allow it to heat up. Not really mixing as nothing separates in that time. At least for me.

So, there is not really a need for cords for some people. This is what everyone is trying to imply here.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's a completely, totally, in every way, shape and form unrealistic suggestion. He's using a big garbage can, not a laboratory beaker.

You're saying that this - which is what it would take at just over $3,000.00:

Is a pliable option for a guy stirring water in a garbage can to save the gap on one electrical cord? And it still doesn't solve the heater cord does it?

That's like suggesting a guy go out and buy a new Ferrari so he can get better performance out of his old Ford Fiesta.

Just be realistic. Sheesh.
My suggestion was in regard to any looking for a solution vs just directed at the author. At least how I recall it plus one won’t know until they try it. Some very large stirrers exist and the goal isn’t for initial stir but to maintain flow. I think it will work.

I’m done explaining myself. Something I shouldn’t have to do.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some very large stirrers exist and the goal isn’t for initial stir but to maintain flow. I think it will work.
Of course. I just linked it. It costs over $3,000.00.

I'm sure everybody is just going to run out and by one now.

Gomez Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, there is not really a need for cords for some people.
Which goes back to the OP - meaning that doesn't apply to this thread. At all.

If the OP states "I have a Royal Gramma" and you reply "you don't do that with a Frogspawn Coral" it doesn't really make much sense, does it?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which goes back to the OP - meaning that doesn't apply to this thread. At all.

If the OP states "I have a Royal Gramma" and you reply "you don't do that with a Frogspawn Coral" it doesn't really make much sense, does it?
Did you not notice that I also provided items they can use to put cords in the can and still have the lid seal????? So, I provided info as requested and then provided info about how some do not need them when that topic came up.

Is that not what should be done? If so please educate me on what should be done. Maybe I am doing this all wrong and need you ever so wonderful wisdom........

Also, it may help to actually read all of ones posts and what they were replying to, before being a "Ray of Sunshine" in a thread.

Day Sunshine GIF

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are incorrect in that the smallest brute can is 15 gallons, I personally have 2- 10 gallon brutes that I use in conjunction with a 20 gallon for storage and water changes. (On a side note, Rubbermaid does not make a 15 gallon Brute trash can, so you might want to check your info before you mislead others)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back