Bryan's 220 Build - Wrasses and More

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated: 8/12/2011

So, since my tank was ordered, I figured it would be a good time to get started on this thread, as I've never really had the chance to do one before. Here is the equipment list. Everything equipment wise will be reused from my current setup, which works out perfectly. I will be building the stand myself, as I did the current one. Still deciding on if I'll run a true canopy on this, or run it topless with netting, since my reflectors are hung from the ceiling.

Tank - Marineland 220 Reef Ready Tank. - 72 x 24 x 30 - Dual Corner Overflows.
Water Movement - 2 x MP40ESw
Sump - 60gal with baffles
Return Pump - Reef Octopus Water Blaster 7000
Skimmer - Super Reef Octopus 3000 SSS Internal w/ Bubble Blaster 3000 w/ Reef Octopus self cleaning head
Lighting - 3 x 24" Heatsinks with 36 CREE LEDS each - Has blue LEDs on own drivers for actinics for night time looks
Filtration - 2 x Single BRS Reactors running off manifold from return pump
Dosing - Precision Marine Kalk Reactor - Manual Dosing of Magnesium if I go reef
Controller - Apex Lite: 2 x EB8, VMX Module, Breakout Box
Heater - 2 x 300w Jaggers Heaters for redundancy

Rock - Will be completely starting over with all BRS dry Fiji, EcoRock, and some Tonja Shelf pieces. Plan to go easy on the rock to create a nice look with plenty of negative space.

Sand - Starting over with 200 lbs of new Fijii Pink and Sea Floor Sand from Caribsea

Corals - I have decided that I'm going to move to fish only tank. This will give me the ability to get some fish that I haven't been able to before, such as rare butterfly fish, angels, etc. Will still focus on a crazy nice wrasse collection, but will be adding many nice other fish as well.

Fish - The fish list will include all my current fish, and then I plan to add some stuff I couldn't keep before.

Current Fish list:

• Female Hawaiian Flame Wrasse
  • Laboutei Fairy Wrasse
  • Male Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse
  • Male Filamented Flasher Wrasse

Planned new fish:

• Crosshatch Trigger Pair
  • 1 or 2 Female Rhomboid Wrasse
  • Female Laboutei (still unclear whether my current is male or female)
  • Lineatus Fairy Wrasses
  • Orange Shoulder Tang
  • Black Tang
  • Watanabe Angels

In creating this new tank, and with all the expensive fish in it, I'll will be finally (after 6+ years reefing) be setting up a quarantine tank for new additions. Will probably use either a 20H or a 40B that I have onhand.

Quarantine Tank:

Tank: 40 gallon Breeder
Water Movement: 1 x MP10ESw
Sump: 20H Tank w/ baffles
Return Pump: TBD
Skimmer: Super Reef Octopus 1000 Internal w/ Bubble Blaster 1000
Lighting: My spare 6 x T5 or my PC Compact Fixture
Heater: 250w Jaggers
Controller: Tied into my Apex above for monitoring and topoff using float switches

Last edited:

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is going to look awesome! Can't wait for some pics! Good call on pairing up your blue throat! Also, i would add a pair of Watanabe Angels to your planned fish list;)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thats a good idea, I do like those. I wonder if PIA gets those in as well? I've been thinking about some of the Heniochus Butterflyfish as well, but I don't know anything about them. I'd have to research that one out first.

I think on this build, I'm going to focus much more on fish than I am corals. For instance, I'll be putting cave like pieces around the bottoms of the rock structure to ensure the wrasses have many places to sleep. It won't be noticeable, but they'll be there.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, that's a heck of a name you have there, it's a good name, a strong name;)

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, only 300 watts of lights for 200g? Sounds like the fish will like the dimensions...they'll have plenty of room to swim...good idea setting up a qt

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the tank is only 48 inches long, which is the same for my current tank. I'll drop the fixtures much closer to the water than they are now to get some more light down there, but high enough to get some spread.

I've really been debating on starting this as a fish only, and then slowly get back into corals. I've always been a fish guy, but my coral obsession took over many years ago. Now that I've gotten into these wrasses, I'm starting to realize that I'm sort of tired of focusing on the coral side. I may move towards just keeping some SPS that I have now, and move towards getting more LPS. I'm also debating an awesome anemone for my clowns, but not sure about that yet.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have an recommendations for a good HOB filter that I can use on my qt tanks? I do have a spare 20H and 20L, and would be ok putting a single or two wrasses in there for a week or two under medication, but I'd be concerned about the bigger fish I want, like tangs and triggers. I want to qt those guys as well, but don't want them stressing out and dying cause the qt tank is too small.

Plus, I want to keep the at small enough so that I don't have to run it all the time. I plan to do a water change when I need that qt tank going, and then I plan to keep some filter replacements for a HOB filter in my sump, and then I can put them in the HOB filter so I'll have some bio filtration. Thoughts?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a beautiful tank and I love the list of fish you having and planning for. Do you have any pictures??

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pics of only the current fish right now. The tank is ordered, and I'll probably go buy wood to start building the stand this week. I'm not exactly sure when the tank will come in, but I assure there will be plenty of pics.

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i too have always like fish, but then i got bit by the coral bug...i also am starting to get back into the fish, but i don't think i could go fish only...i know nothing about any HOB filters

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a solid plan on setting this up Bryan! I can't wait to see it in action!

Are you going to supplement the MH with your LED strips?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a solid plan on setting this up Bryan! I can't wait to see it in action!

Are you going to supplement the MH with your LED strips?

Yeah, but right now I'm just using them for seeing the corals under them. They only come on about 1 hour before the first light goes off, and then they turn off 30 min after the last light. I'm thinking about getting some ReefBrites to try, especially if I build a canopy for the tank.

cant wait to see this build.

Thanks. I've been putting a lot of thought into it, so you can only imagne how excited I am to get started.

Looking forward to seeing this one up. Always wanted a Marineland DD.

A pair of Watanabe Angels is on my must have list.....nice fish.

Yeah, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for some. I'm really moving closer and closer to doing fish only, but I doubt I will. I love the look of corals so much, but I don't think I'm going to focus on them like I have in the past.

awesome man. looking forward to the progress. :)

Thanks, can't wait to get going and start building.

I plan to somehow move my current setup into the garage, which will free up the current spot where the new tank will go. I can get another tank identical to mine for free, and get a metal stand for it as well. This way I could simply move some water in, drop in the corals, and then move the fish over.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add some pics to get it started :)

Skimmer:
2010-10-30_19-45-32_929.jpg

Kalk Reactor:
2011-02-09_20-56-47_19.jpg

And Semi-Recent Full Tank Pic - Was Before I got any wrasses:
DSC_2569.jpg

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Bryan. Cant wait to see your new tank. Do you know when it will arrive?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Bryan. Cant wait to see your new tank. Do you know when it will arrive?

Not yet, but about to txt my guy who ordered it to find out. Good thing is that I didn't have to pay for shipping, since it'll just come on their normal truck with Marineland equipment. Plus, I got it wholesale price :) I could have gotten the 300 DD for the same price, but I know I would have had to buy more equipment, like lights and pumps and such, so I decided against it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back